ADMS Left and Right Municipality attribute rule offset not working

Jump to solution
10-14-2022 11:18 AM
JamesBurton1
Occasional Contributor

Anyone else having issues getting the left and right municipality attribute rule to intersect the correct municipality? The rule works as expected if I create a centerline directly on the municipal boundary, but when a centerline is created within a couple feet of the boundary, it doesn't seem to honor the offset and just selects the municipality it is currently located in. 

My initial reaction to this problem was to increase the offset distances and check my variables but that isn't helping me. I must be missing something. 

The attribute rule is attached along with some screen shots. 

@ChrisFox 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisFox
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @JamesBurton1, yes unfortunately it will only grab the correct left and right if the line is coincident with the boundary. The offset is used to test if a portion of the road is coincident with the boundary but then turns and enters completely within one of the two municipalities.

I think the rule could be enhanced to use an offset distance but would likely need some significant changes to make it work and account for all the edge scenarios. I will think about this for a future update.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChrisFox
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @JamesBurton1, yes unfortunately it will only grab the correct left and right if the line is coincident with the boundary. The offset is used to test if a portion of the road is coincident with the boundary but then turns and enters completely within one of the two municipalities.

I think the rule could be enhanced to use an offset distance but would likely need some significant changes to make it work and account for all the edge scenarios. I will think about this for a future update.

0 Kudos
JamesBurton1
Occasional Contributor

Good to know. That would be a great enhancement since not many of my centerlines are coincident with the municipalities. Thanks! 

0 Kudos