2012 Zip Codes Decrease?

04-30-2013 09:04 AM
SusanZwillinger
Occasional Contributor
My 2011 BA Data had 32,086 zip codes.  The 2012 BA Data has 31,698.  While I know that zip codes change frequently, I would expect the number to increase and not decrease.  Can someone verify that Navteq, in fact, reduced the number of zip code areas that they are delivering?

As a side note, thanks to Esri for including the usa_zip5_pnts layer with the BA data that has 41,304 zip codes . . . some of which are point zip codes instead of area zip codes.  (We used to have to get that layer from the Esri Data & Maps DVD.)

Regards,
-Susan-
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
My 2011 BA Data had 32,086 zip codes.  The 2012 BA Data has 31,698.  While I know that zip codes change frequently, I would expect the number to increase and not decrease.  Can someone verify that Navteq, in fact, reduced the number of zip code areas that they are delivering?

As a side note, thanks to Esri for including the usa_zip5_pnts layer with the BA data that has 41,304 zip codes . . . some of which are point zip codes instead of area zip codes.  (We used to have to get that layer from the Esri Data & Maps DVD.)

Regards,
-Susan-

Hi Susan,

I can confirm that the zip code data is from Navteq but I will double check with the Data Product Manager as to why they are a few less 2012 zip codes as compared to 2011 zip codes.  The Esri 2010 zip codes (TeleAtlas) were 30,246.

I didn't know point zip codes (non-residential) were included now so that is a nice perk.  I know that one can purchase a non-residential zip code table with the enclosing area/polygon zip codes but always thought it would be great to include this with Business Analyst.  Would help a lot of users who end up calling in to support to troubleshoot geocoding a specific address or a table of addresses.

Regards,
Jason R.
0 Kudos
KyleDixon
Occasional Contributor

There are several types of ZIP codes to consider when counting.

- Military: changes frequently and usually aren't counted

- PO Box only

- Unique: A large company or organization might have their own ZIP Code, so it's a single point.

- Universities: (similar to a Unique)

- Phantom: Only used internally for sortation and probably don't count

And other anomalies like a very large building may contain several ZIP codes.

SusanZwillinger
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Kyle. That list is helpful. I know that there are many military and unique zip codes that end up in the point zip code file but not the polygons that are created by companies like HERE and TomTom.  My concern is related to the polygons decreasing.  We generally have around 41,000 point zip codes and I sometimes use them for geocoding, but the main concern is related to looking at demographics and trade areas by zip code.  Do you know if the USPS provides a polygon file as well as point file?  It would be great to have some cross reference capability to validate the data that is included with the Esri Business Analyst software.  (I think the current version of BA uses data form HERE.)

Regards,

-Susan-

0 Kudos
KyleDixon
Occasional Contributor

There are currently 41,747 ZIP Codes, not including military.

We do have a ZIP boundary file, but it isn't available yet (hopefully soon).

Once it is available ESRI might use it in the BA Product.

0 Kudos
ChristopheCharpentier
Occasional Contributor

Looping in Catherine Spisszak ( Catherine Spisszak‌ ) as she is Esri's Product Manager for Demographics and all related data.

0 Kudos