Sidewalk Inventory Solution - ADA Compliance, Condition Assessments, and More

02-01-2024 01:06 PM
MattieLehman
New Contributor II

My small City is looking to conduct a sidewalk inventory this year that meets a couple of different needs I'm trying to balance including

• complying with ADA standards (linear sidewalk and curb ramps)
  • conducting condition assessments for general repair needs
  • estimating sidewalk panel replacement costs for lead service line work
  • assessing community walkability and planning expansions of our active transportation network

With a fairly large sidewalk network compared to staff/financial resources we also have the need to be able to assess very quickly. Researching what other communities have done, I'm overwhelmed by the number of approaches that have been taken and am uncertain where to start. I've seen polygons, lines, and points all used to represent sidewalk!

I have really appreciated using Solutions when I'm developing schemas for layers with compliance implications (Lead Inventory Rules, MUTCD for signs, and etc.) and a sidewalks solution that accounts for ADA compliance would be fantastic for helping our team quickly evaluate how well we are meeting standards and instituting best practices.

4 Comments
SteveCole

If you haven't seen this, the Solutions team looks like they will be releasing a sidewalk management solution later this year (blog link). This topic is really outside my normal duties but about 3 years ago, I was wrangled into building a public facing app that would show the public our ADA inventory information. I just rebuilt it with Experience Builder because of forced migration (thanks ESRI) and you can poke around in it here:

https://gis.snoco.org/portal/apps/experiencebuilder/experience/?id=f1d7bd5e44ae466c953994a37c074128 

The data in this application is old and kind of severed from the current workflow. We need to reconcile this and incorporate the new information but there's only so much I can do as I have to force migrate several apps before my IT shuts down our original Portal instance at the end of this month. Anyways. as I attempt to recall how this worked, the staff that were doing the inventory may still have been doing clipboard attribute collection and using a consumer level GPS for some field data collection. All the data was actively maintained in a file geoDatabase and I had a cut pulled out and published publicly in order to build the original WAB application.

Since that time, my organization has adopted an asset management system (Cartegraph) and now the ADA inventory information is being captured in there so field staff are using tablets to capture location & attribute information and it's all stored in there. Because of the drastic change, the current workflow has been "date forward" and doesn't contain that historical stuff yet. I've been told there are some issues about duplicate features with respect to merging old and new data but I'm not really clear on that part.

Not super helpful but I'll help get the ball rolling with discussion.. 🙃

Steve

ChrisFox
Status changed to: In Product Plan

Andrew_Eaton

Hi @MattieLehman

I am the Product Engineer responsible for the upcoming Sidewalk Management solution. This solution will follow a similar pattern to Sign Management and will allow you to inventory sidewalks and curb ramps, conduct routine inspections and maintenance, and understand asset conditions but with an additional focus on ADA compliance. I've reached out to you via PM if you would like to connect and discuss this further.

Andrew

MattieLehman

@SteveCole Thank you! I checked out your Experience Builder application and was able to visualize how point locations could work really well for us for both sidewalk condition and curb ramps. Totally separate topic, but I also played with your print option and would love to recreate something similar for some of our other applications!

@Andrew_Eaton Really glad to hear this is coming and that it will have some similarities with sign management assessment workflows. I look forward to connecting further and trying the solution soon.