Select to view content in your preferred language

Debugging Javascript

Jump to solution
12-03-2014 12:56 PM
WalterDziuba
Occasional Contributor

Just starting to learn the javascript environment and have downloaded the "Public Information" template to my local pc.

Had some instructions provided to me about how to set up a proxy and have downloaded from GitHub the latest version.

After I've finished the configuration of the default.js and template.js files, my test web page no longer functions and am now

trying to figure out ways in which I can debug where the application is failing. I've explored the developer tools in Chrome while

the app is running, and it seems to be stalling at a certain file called _Contained.js.

Debug.PNG

Can someone please provide a brief overview of the tools that they would use while learning how to debug a javascript application?

Walter

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Code School has a pretty good (free) tutorial on how to use the developer tools to debug an app:

Chrome Dev Tools Tutorial - Code School

And here's a video from an Esri Developer Summit session on debugging that might help:

Tips & Tricks for Debugging Apps with JavaScript | Esri Video 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Code School has a pretty good (free) tutorial on how to use the developer tools to debug an app:

Chrome Dev Tools Tutorial - Code School

And here's a video from an Esri Developer Summit session on debugging that might help:

Tips & Tricks for Debugging Apps with JavaScript | Esri Video 

0 Kudos
WalterDziuba
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Kelly,

Appreciate your quick response.

Walter

0 Kudos