Runtime editing in a disconnected mode

07-25-2011 10:36 AM
Labels (1)
AngelGonzalez
Occasional Contributor II
OK, I read the Runtime SDK for WPK and I have a question. If you deploy a runtime app onto a laptop and download the data on the laptop from ArcSDE and have the app point to the local copy of the datasource (.mpk) can you do editing (in my case attribute editing only) if the laptop does not have any connectivity to the ArcSDE server? That is the laptop will not have any internet/intranet connections? 

I also read "Editing with the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF requires a feature service" Does this mean editing can only be done in a connect mode?

I also saw something about "Managing ArcGIS Runtime local services" Does this mean we can create a local service for editing?

Thanks
0 Kudos
28 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi Angel,

1) Managing the ArcGIS Runtime & local Feature Services:

- Yes, the ArcGIS Runtime does run services on the local machine which are broadly equivalent to ArcGIS Server services. This means, when we talk about feature services, those feature services could be hosted by an ArcGIS Server or in the ArcGIS Runtime, often referred to as "online" or "local". 

- The only limitation is that there are some datatypes / types of geometry  which cannot be edited outside of an edit session or which need to be versioned, for example feature classes which participate in a geometric network. In this case, currently (Beta 1), these cannot be edited via local feature services with the ArcGIS Runtime without a connection to the source ArcSDE Geodatabase. In this case - the Map Package must be created referencing the ArcSDE GDB.

2) Disconnected editing:

** The following steps are true for Beta 1 through to the first release. After the first release we aim to add a synchronization framework allowing for a more seamless disconnected enterprise editing workflow. **

The basic process is to use ArcMap (ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 Beta 1) to create a Map Package (MPK) in which you can edit data using a local feature service provided by the ArcGIS Runtime then check those edits back into your ArcSDe GDB:

a) Open ArcMap - ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 (Beta 1) - and add the layers you wish to edit from your ArcSDE GDB.
b) Create a checkout/checkin replica of these layers - this must be in a File GDB.
c) Ensure the File GDB is being created in the required folder (e.g. your deployment folder)
d) The checkout process can switch your Map to point to the new;y checked-out data or open a new ArcMap session and add the Feature Classes within the File GDB then symbolize as required.
e) Ensure that ArcMap is set to use relative paths within ArcMap Document properties (off the File menu).
f) Go to Customize > ArcMap Options and select the Sharing tab. Ensure that the Enable ArcGIS Runtime Tools option is checked.
g) Open the Map Packaging dialog by using the File > Share As... > Map Package option within ArcMap.
h) Ensure the "Make ArcGIS Runtime compatible" option is checked and that the option beneath this is also checked - to "Reference all data" and that the MPK is going to sit alongside the File GDB you created (so that the relative paths work).
i) Then click Share - this will create a small Map Package (.MPK) which references the File GDB containing the replica.
j) This MPK and File GDB should be deployed to the deployment machine when you deploy your application. The ArcGIS Runtime can also use relative paths (e.g. ..\..\Data\MyEditLayers.MPK).
k) Now you can create a LocalFeatureService using the ArcGIS Runtime WPF API, based on that MPK and create one or more LocalFeatureLayers based on layers within that MPK (i.e. as you would with layers within an ArcGIS Server FeatureService).
l) Develop an editing UI e.g. using the Template Picker or Editor with the Toolkit library.
m) Once your edits are done - to reintegrate the edits to your ArcSDE GDB you need to grab the File GDB that you deployed and use ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 (Beta 1) to checkin the edits. Alternatively you could explore using Geoprocessing tools for this purpose.

I hope this helps - if you have any more questions, please keep posting - feedback is very important to us during the beta process for both product functionality and as a guide for areas in which we need more documentation.

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos
KarlLarsen
New Contributor III
Thanks for the feedback on this topic Mike! This is also a question that we have at my organization regarding the ArcGIS Runtime.

Can you tell us roughly how high the priority of a disconnected editing and synchronization framework is for the subsequent release?

It is my understanding that after the 10.1 ArcGIS release that the ArcGIS Runtime can be released off cycle, like the web API's are today. If that's the case would the second release be roughly 3 - 6 months after 10.1?

Cheers,
Karl
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Karl,

An edit synchronization framework will be a strong focus for us after the 10.1 release. However, it is a significant piece of work so at this time I can't say how soon after 10.1 it might be available. Regarding post-10.1 releases, yes, we do plan to go "off cycle" with the ArcGIS Runtime and 3-6 months is probably a reasonable suggestion but beyond that it's impossible to say at this time.

Thanks for your interest in the Runtime - beta 1 should be available for download within the next couple of weeks.

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos
KarlLarsen
New Contributor III
Thanks for the follow up Mike! What you stated helps.

Cheers,
Karl
0 Kudos
AngelGonzalez
Hi Mike,

I was out for a while so I want to say thanks for the info. I do have a question about the future "edit synchronization framework ". Will the runtime synchronization framework synch with arcSDE directly? We are looking at using the runtime to be deployed to about 10 - 20 inspectors out in the field on laptops and have them do a synch before they go out in the field and when they come back in(inspectors will not have access to ArcGIS Desktop).  Also can the runtime be deployed using Microsoft "ClickOnce" technology?  We are looking at using runtime as a replacement to our current mobile application.

Thanks,
Angel
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Hi,

Any future synchronization framework will be designed to work in an enterprise scenario so therefore will work with Enterprise Geodatabases. However, it's possible that your workflow could be automated with Geoprocessing in the first release, although depending on how you intend to manage conflict resolution it might require some manual steps involving ArcGIS for Desktop. But that could still be true within any automated framework too.

I'll confirm the question regarding ClickOnce deployment. If you're currently using ClickOnce - do your applications run Full Trust?

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos
AngelGonzalez
Hi Mike,

Again thanks for the info and yes our ClickOnce application does run Full Trust.

Thanks,

Angel
0 Kudos
PiotrIwaniuk
New Contributor III
Hi,

What about geometry service needed with EditorWidget? It points to online AGS or AGO. Maybe geometry service could be included in runtime. What do you think?
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Hi,

The ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF includes a LocalGeometryService for this purpose.

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos