Porting ArcEngine Application to 64 bit.

06-25-2014 06:50 AM
Labels (1)
gunamukilan
New Contributor
Hi,

We have a WPF application, which has arcengine controls embedded in it. We are looking at options to replace ArcEngine with someother component which is 64 bit and we are evaluating ArcGIS Runtime sdk for WPF (possibly .net as well).

We do not need a ArcServer or ArcGIS online based solution, we dont use web maps or tiles services.  We have file geodatabases and need to create, edit and modify feature classes within the gdb.

My questions are :

1. Can I use ArcGIS Runtime sdks to build a non-cloud / non - server WPF Solution.
2. Is the projection capabilities in Arcgis runtime comparable to engine, as engine has access to arcobjects.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

This is great news, and you should definitely be looking at the new ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET rather than the existing ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF.

Regarding your questions:

1. Can I use ArcGIS Runtime sdks to build a non-cloud / non - server WPF Solution.
Yes, you can use the ArcGIS Runtime SDKs to build solutions which are not dependent on services and instead use offline/local data. This data always has to be created/authored somewhere though... which may require a desktop or server task initially. It would be worthwhile clarifying your editing workflow, since this may introduce the requirement for a feature service somewhere in the solution too.

2. Is the projection capabilities in Arcgis runtime comparable to engine, as engine has access to arcobjects.
There are projection capabilities in the ArcGIS Runtime via the GeometryEngine class, and we will be adding functionality for additional transformation options. The ArcGIS Runtime is not built on ArcObjects and therefore is not yet directly comparable, but over the next couple of releases it will become almost equivalent for most use cases.

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos
gunamukilan
New Contributor
Thanks for your input Mike. However, our engine application now, creates and symbolizes features classes in a file gdb.  From what I gather, Runtime SDK will work with layer packages and hence we have to create the package before the sdk can work with it. Will this functionality be added in the future if its not available already. Our editing is fairly simple, so I am sure the editing needs will be met.
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

Packages are an option (in fact they are the only option in the existing WPF SDK), more commonly in the new .NET SDK we expect developers to work with runtime geodatabases directly. Runtime geodatabases are a new implementation of the geodatabase within SQLite and can either be retrieved from a feature service programmatically via the API or alternatively they can be extracted/created from within ArcGIS for Desktop. Currently, only runtime geodatabases extracted from a service can be edited and synchronized back to your enterprise geodatabase whilst runtime geodatabases created with ArcMap are effectively read-only. For really simple editing workflows you could consider persisting the edits in another storage format such as json and populating a layer with the contents. For now this would be a GraphicsLayer but in future we are considering adding the ability to create FeatureLayers on the fly.

For more info see https://developers.arcgis.com/net/desktop/guide/editing.htm.

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos