Max number of layers loaded simultaneously

12-03-2012 05:57 PM
Labels (1)
BKuiper
Occasional Contributor III
Is there a max number of Layers that can be loaded simultaneously ? I seems that the loading of layers slows down tremendously when i load over 250+ layers. This is not a common use case, but i was just wondering if somebody else experienced similar problems ?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

What types of layer are you loading - Tiled? Dynamic? Graphics? or a combination?

Are these local or online layers?

Are you using the hardware accelerated display?

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos
BKuiper
Occasional Contributor III
Good point! 🙂

We are loading GraphicsLayers with some simple polylines. We are not using Accelerated Display for the GraphicsLayers.
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

If you're working with GraphicsLayers then you should deinfitely be trying to use the hardware accelerated display capability - either via the map property to affect all layers in the map, or if you still need some animated/custom symbols in your app then you can use the AcceleratedDisplayLayers group layer for the majority of your layers (inc Tiled, Dynamic layers) and keep the number of layers/symbols rendered by the standard WPF map rendering to a minimum. For any symbols not supported you'll get a "Symbol not serializable to JSON" error - in this case you should investigate switching those symbols to one of supported symbol types (primarily SimpleMarker, PictureMarker, SimpleLine, SimpleFill).

The accelerated display was specifically designed to improve the performance of graphics. The improvement in tiled and dynamic layers is marginal since most of the overhead is in rendering the image on the server or downloading tiles/images but it is still worthwhile. We've made further advances in the accelerated display since v1.0 in performance and in layer/symbol support and you'll see those in the forthcoming 10.1.1 release.

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos