Symbol Control Template No Longer Available (WPF)

Jump to solution
08-09-2017 08:55 AM
RobertGoodwin1
New Contributor II

I am probably late to the party on this.  I am porting/refactoring an application that was on a much earlier version of the API.  We created symbols for all of our data by overriding the control template for the appropriate symbol (SimpleMarkerSymbol mostly).  Since this approach appears to be deprecated, what is the recommended way(s) forward to create custom symbols.  I really did like the old way as I could change the symbol based on what object it was bound to an have it change based on its properties.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

Correct - the option to use XAML for symbols has been deprecated as it was causing very severe performance issues, and wasn't a sharable symbol type across the ArcGIS System.

You can use a PictureMarkerSymbol to display anything you want (as long as you can generate the picture - there's plenty of tools and APIs that can do this), or perhaps the CompositeSymbol might be able to do what you need (ie compose a TextSymbol on top of a SimpleMarkerSymbol to create a symbol with a number on it etc)

View solution in original post

5 Replies
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

Correct - the option to use XAML for symbols has been deprecated as it was causing very severe performance issues, and wasn't a sharable symbol type across the ArcGIS System.

You can use a PictureMarkerSymbol to display anything you want (as long as you can generate the picture - there's plenty of tools and APIs that can do this), or perhaps the CompositeSymbol might be able to do what you need (ie compose a TextSymbol on top of a SimpleMarkerSymbol to create a symbol with a number on it etc)

DavidBrown11
New Contributor II

Hello Morten, Has the TimeSlider been deprecated and/or where is it now? I'm trying to quickly migrate from 10.2.0 to 10.2.7. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, David

0 Kudos
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

Work is ongoing to provide a timeslider for 100.2 (it might be ready for 100.1).

If you're working on migrating, you should skip 10.2.7 and go straight to the 100.x releases. 10.2.x is about to enter extended support very soon, and 100.x is where all the future enhancements, toolkit etc will be.

DavidBrown11
New Contributor II

Great! Thank you very much for the reply Morten. I was caught flat footed when Bing switched off SOAP. I started migrating with 100.x but then read that 10.2.7 would work and given that a patch (https://www.cdc.gov/epiinfo/pc.html) is needed immediately, thought that there would be less to change, then later I could bump it up. I'm not sure if that was the right choice now but it's going along (http://epiinfo.codeplex.com/SourceControl/list/changesets). Thanks again!

0 Kudos
RobertGoodwin1
New Contributor II

Thanks.  I will have to restructure some things, and do some on the fly image generation using masks and such, but I think it is doable.  Thanks!

0 Kudos