Overly long file names in .Net ArcGIS Runtime 100.0 Causing Problems in Visual Studio

05-17-2017 02:46 PM
TomFlahive
New Contributor III

I'm finding that there are some really long file names in the ArcGIS Runtime for .Net 100.0 release that are causing me some issues.  They are files appearing in the resources\shaders folder.

For one thing, I am getting warnings in Visual Studio about the length of these files:

Second, and more significant, I am using Microsoft's ClickOnce functionality.  When I tried to deploy my app using ClickOnce publishing, I was getting errors telling me the overall length of some file paths exceeded 250 characters.  This prevented me from publishing.  I was able to get around that problem by making my visual studio project name very short and saving the source files to a directory with a short file path.  That seemed to reduce the longest file path to below the minimum, as I stopped getting the errors.  But essentially it was the files in that shaders folder that were generating the errors.  It would be helpful if these file names could be shortened in future releases.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

We have shortened them slightly in the upcoming release, but probably not enough to resolve this permanently. There's always the risk of exceeding the MAX_PATH of earlier versions of Windows.

I'd recommend using the Windows 10 Anniversary update or later for development, where the file path limitation has been resolved.

0 Kudos