Some issue with the latest VS 2022 17.3 Preview 4 and net6.0-android

07-22-2022 03:45 AM
AleksandarGyonov
New Contributor

Hi,

We are implementing a new Android application, using .net. We are using not Xamarin version, but the new project templates that come with MAUI. Although our application is not a full MAUI project, but target Android only, e.g. it is .net6.0-android project.

We are using ArcGIS Runtime for .NET and Esri.ArcGISRuntime.Xamarin.Android, for the UI of the Android application. It is working pretty much OK until now...

Yesterday there was an upgrade of the  VS 2022, from 17.3 Preview 3 to 17.3 Preview 4. Since then when building our project we constantly get the following error:

Error JAVAC0000 error: no suitable constructor found for Thread(ThreadGroup,Runnable,String,long,boolean)
super (p0, p1, p2, p3, p4);
constructor Thread.Thread() is not applicable

I tracked down it to a JAVA file that is being generated every time when there is Rebuild of the project. The file holds "public class RenderingThread" - "Esri.ArcGISRuntime.UI.Controls.RenderingThread, Esri.ArcGISRuntime.Android", File name "RenderingThread.java".

I have been able to manually correct the code in the java file and build the application, but then as I mention above, upon each Rebuild this JAVA is  being re-created and I have to manually change it again.

Reinstalling VS, cleaning NuGet cache, Re-instilling the NuGET packages does not change the above behavior...

So, my question is -  Is it that I am doing something wrong? Is this a problem (BUG) with ArcGIS Runtime or this is problem with Microsoft Visual Studio - latest preview update? if it is Microsoft's problem I shall contact them, but as I am having this issue only with the ArcGIS component (NuGET package) and the rest packages/libraries we are using, builds fine, I wanted to comment it here - before posting on MAUI side, for this issue.

Thanks in advance 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
esp1rl
by
New Contributor III

This issue is actually a problem in the tooling of MAUI.

https://github.com/xamarin/xamarin-android/pull/7187

0 Kudos
dotMorten
New Contributor III

Yup that's the issue you're hitting. The PR is there because we already reported the regression 🙂
For now you can work around the issue by installing the Android Level 33 SDK, and targeting `net6.0-android33.0`.

0 Kudos
AleksandarGyonov
New Contributor

Ok, thank you very much, for sorting out this issue. 

At least, now it is clear what is the core of the problem.

0 Kudos