mobile package, feature layers are not editable

10-11-2017 11:06 AM
MohamedNabil1
New Contributor II

Hi,

I  created mobile package with ArcGIS Pro, when I load it using ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET,  I found that FeatureTable.IsEditable is always false.

How can I enable editing in feature layers in the mobile package (mmpk)?

Thanks

12 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Mody,

As Joe suggested, take a look at Collector for Android/iOS as it may already offer what you you need.

To help understand the offline workflow I recommend starting with the Guide topic https://developers.arcgis.com/net/latest/wpf/guide/offline.htm.

If after evaluating Collector you still need to build a custom app I also recommend taking a looking the Data Collection example app build by the Runtime development team: https://developers.arcgis.com/example-apps/data-collection-dotnet/. The master branch currently contains a WPF app (there's a UWP version in progress in https://github.com/Esri/data-collection-dotnet/tree/uwp-attachments).

Cheers

Mike

ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for the information.

I would like to explain what we need and what I understand from the docs so I understand the options.

Currently the users works on desktop, they build a complex project (rasters and vectors, some of them local on disk), set an area of interest and like to download it to the device.

Currently we use complex software on desktop to create the data for the mobile (caches and .geodatabase files) and we do not edit or return anything back to the organization database.

The user MUST have a custom application, no way to use any ready to use application (the needs are very specific).

From what I see on the on-demand workflow I understand that all data must be services and that I need to build the package for the cellular using RunTime application.

Is there a way (now or in coming version) to start a workflow in desktop (possibly Pro) and create an editable package for RunTime applications?

Thanks

0 Kudos
JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor

The standard workflow today would be to work in Portal or AGOL and create a WebMap that would be used as the source data.  The user or admin could pre-package (see preplanned workflow) this data so the package does not have to be generated at the time of download which reduces download time significantly (generating a package takes 5+ minutes depending on size).  Although, be aware that a single WebMap can only have 16 preplanned work areas which is both arbitrary and far too small (at least for the world I work in).

The other option is to do a custom process on the enterprise side.  Yes, it is true that only a offline replica generated from a feature service is editable.  But there is no requirement that this be generated on the device itself.  You could develop a process to create your own offline packages on the enterprise and then a process to download those packages.  If the packages are complex as you describe, this may be the only option.  Also while Runtime does a nice job of simplifying this process, replicas can always be created directly from the rest endpoint.  This custom approach is the path we are heading down, primarily because of the 16 prepackaged limit which is a good 10x less than the amount we need.  Also, it gives us an ability to deliver additional data in the package which is a plus.  We use an application run on the server to generate/update the offline packages which are stored on a web server.  We have an application exposed as a rest endpoint that services client requests to download the prepackaged offline maps.

-Joe

Thanks,
-Joe
0 Kudos