Dynamically creating compositeSymbol with pictureMarker and textMarker symbols

12-27-2018 10:01 AM
TerryCoe
New Contributor

I am trying to create Composite Symbols that contain both a Picture Marker Symbol and a Text Symbol. 

for some reason, the picture Marker Symbol is not consistently created in the composite symbol. So I am hoping that someone here can see what has been done wrong and help me out. Using C#, here is my code:

private async void SetMapSymbols()
{
var previousLayer = GraphicsLayer[SEARCH_LAYER];
GraphicsLayer.Remove(previousLayer);

var graphicsOverlay = new GraphicsOverlay() { Id = SEARCH_LAYER };
var graphicList = new List<Graphic>();

int order = 0;

foreach (RequestInfoModel entry in PermitList)
{
order++;

if (entry.SiteGeoLat == null || entry.SiteGeoLong == null) continue;

var pointAttribList = ConvertObjectToDictionary(entry);
DictionaryUtility.AddItemTodictionaryAttribute(pointAttribList, ORDER_ATTRIBUTE, order.ToString());
var geo = entry.AltSiteGeoLat != null && entry.AltSiteGeoLong != null ? WebMercatorUtility.ConvertToMercator(entry.AltSiteGeoLong.Value, entry.AltSiteGeoLat.Value) : WebMercatorUtility.ConvertToMercator(entry.SiteGeoLong.Value, entry.SiteGeoLat.Value);
var graphic = new Graphic(
new MapPoint(geo.Lon, geo.Lat, new SpatialReference(SPATIAL_REFERENCE)),
pointAttribList,
string.IsNullOrEmpty(entry.InspectorArea) ? await SymbolUtility.CreateSymbols(order.ToString(), SymbolTypes.Blue, SymbolShapes.Pin) :
await SymbolUtility.CreateSymbols(order.ToString(), SymbolTypes.Red, SymbolShapes.Arrow));
if (entry.SiteGeoTypeCode != MAPPABLE)
{
graphic.Symbol = string.IsNullOrEmpty(entry.InspectorArea) ? await SymbolUtility.CreateSymbols(order.ToString(), SymbolTypes.Blue, SymbolShapes.Pin2) :
await SymbolUtility.CreateSymbols(order.ToString(), SymbolTypes.Red, SymbolShapes.Arrow2);
}

graphicList.Add(graphic);

}

graphicList.ForEach(x => graphicsOverlay.Graphics.Add(x));
GraphicsLayer.Add(graphicsOverlay);

}

as you can see, i am awaiting the SymbolUtility, so here is that code:

public static async Task<Symbol> CreateSymbols(string text, SymbolTypes type, SymbolShapes shape)
{
var iconPath = string.Empty;
iconPath = string.Format(@"pack://application:,,,/Images/{0}_{1}.png", type.ToString(), shape.ToString());

var pc = new PictureMarkerSymbol(new Uri(iconPath, UriKind.RelativeOrAbsolute));
pc.Width = 30;
pc.Height = 30;

var cm = new CompositeSymbol();
var ts = new TextSymbol()
{
Color = Colors.Black,
FontStyle = FontStyle.Normal,
FontDecoration = FontDecoration.None,
FontFamily = "Arial",
FontWeight = FontWeight.Bold,
Size = 14,
VerticalAlignment = VerticalAlignment.Middle,
HorizontalAlignment = HorizontalAlignment.Center,
OffsetY = shape == SymbolShapes.Arrow ? 5 : 0
};

ts.Text = text;
cm.Symbols.Add(pc);
cm.Symbols.Add(ts);

return await Task.Factory.StartNew<Symbol>(() => { return pc; });
}

here is a screen grab of 1 symbol that generated properly, and 2 that didn't:

picture of 1 icon rendering properly and two that do not

I have created a thread on StackOverflow here, but a person there directed me here to ask. Thank you for reading this far. any help would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE:

Here is the additional info requested below:

picture symbol for testing

the graphic.Geometry :

{"x":-13703208.904060207,"y":5882055.3633824475,"spatialReference":{"wkid":102100,"latestWkid":3857}}

the Spatial Reference = 3857

0 Kudos
11 Replies
TerryCoe
New Contributor

I will try that first thing tomorrow, since I reverted back to 4.6.0 today already.

0 Kudos
TerryCoe
New Contributor

Completing this is not an option for me, due to time constraints and the regression testing needed to ensure it was done properly. 

Quick Question though:

What type of files could be used as a PictureMarkerSymbol? I am thinking that the .PNG files might not scale well to a vector tile base map, and the visible extent, so I was going to try converting to a .SVG file. But thats a lot of work, so I want to be sure the object can render it properly.

0 Kudos