Create Enterprise SDE programmatically

02-06-2015 07:01 AM
GordonPaterson
New Contributor

Hi everyone@,

I'm trying to create a new Enterprise SDE through a tool I am building and I can't seem to find how.

I've looked at the documentation on how to create a new geodatabase and it makes sense but when it does mention enterprise SDE it states -

ArcSDE enterprise geodatabases are stored using separate database management system (DBMS) products. Therefore, before creating the ArcSDE geodatabase system tables and your data tables, set up the underlying DBMS. The specifics of this vary based on the type of DBMS being used.

Which seems to suggest that the database needs to be created first, before making it a SDE but I can't find any further information.

If I try the example given in Creating a geodatabase in personal or workgroup ArcSDE it crashes with a com error when I use our enterprise SQL address, if I try and connect to a local SQLExpress instance it connects which I suppose is correct since it's dealing with personal and workgroup ArcSDE.

I've looked everywhere and I can't seem to find any information about creating an enterprise SDE.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank,

-Gordon

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlexPerez
New Contributor III

Try setting it up with the Arc Toolbox tool

System Toolboxes > Data Management Tools > Geodatabase Administration > Create Enterprise Geodatabase

You will need sysadmin privileges on the database server that you are using and an ESRI authorization file.  You can then script creating the database from the results window if you need to do this again in a python tool.

Hope that helps.

TinaMorgan1
Occasional Contributor II

What level is your SDE license?  i.e. personal, workgroup or enterprise?

What version of ArcDesktop are you using?

Do you have the enterprise version of SQL Server?  For example, SQL Server 2012 or SQL Server 2008R2. 

SQL Server Express is the free and limited version, which is why SQL Server Express is the underlying DBMS for personal and workgroup SDE.

Also, can you include the link for the example you followed in "Creating a geodatabase in personal or workgroup ArcSDE"

AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

There are different tools available for creating an SDE Enterprise -- 'Create Enterprise Geodatabase" & 'Enable Enterprise Geodatabase'.

The Create Enterprise Geodatabase tool can be used to:

1. convert an existing simple database into an sde enterprise geodatabase

2. create a new simple database and convert it into an sde geodatabase in that tool itself

Therefore, before creating the ArcSDE geodatabase system tables and your data tables, set up the underlying DBMS. The specifics of this vary based on the type of DBMS being used.

The above statement informs that you should have your DBMS installed and configured before running this tool. It doesn't indicate that you should have the database created as well.

SQL Server Express instance can be used to create the SDE Enterprise geodatabase as well, as long as you are aware about the limitations of the SQL Server Express, as compared to Standard or Enterprise Editions and you are fine with it.