ArcGIS Runtime WPF App (.Net) with .Net 4.8

Jump to solution
04-29-2022 04:07 AM
vergerk
New Contributor II

Hello,

For my current projet (in .Net 4.8 - Visual Studio 2017), I chosen to develop a "Esri map" component in an another projet, with Visual Studio 2019.

I used "create project" window and I had select "ArcGIS Runtime WPF App (.NET) (Esri)".

But, I can't use this projet (.Net 5) in my main projet (.Net 4.8). I have modified .csproj file to replace "<TargetFramework>net5.0-windows10.0.19041.0</TargetFramework>" by "<TargetFramework>net48</TargetFramework>" but I have this error when i affect ArcGISRuntimeEnvironment.ApiKey :

System.InvalidOperationException
HResult=0x80131509
Message=Could not load ArcGIS Runtime (RuntimeCoreNet100_14.dll) or any of its dependencies. Make sure the "Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable" component is installed.
Source=Esri.ArcGISRuntime
Procedure call tree :
at Esri.ArcGISRuntime.ArcGISRuntimeEnvironment.TryInitialize()
at Esri.ArcGISRuntime.ArcGISRuntimeEnvironment.InitNative()
at Esri.ArcGISRuntime.ArcGISRuntimeEnvironment.InitializeRuntimeCore()
at Esri.ArcGISRuntime.ArcGISRuntimeEnvironment.set_ApiKey(String value)
Internal exception 1 :
BadImageFormatException: Attempting to load an incorrect format program. (Exception from HRESULT : 0x8007000B)

I know this error is due to my modification but it says that the ArcGIS framework is available since the .Net Framework 4.6.1 .

https://developers.arcgis.com/net/reference/system-requirements/#wpf-requirements

.NET SDKs

• .NET SDK 6.0.201 or higher - .NET 6.0 Target Framework net6.0-windows10.0.18362.0 or higher
  • .NET Framework 4.6.1 or higher

Have you an idea for my problem ?

Thanks !

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vergerk
New Contributor II

Hello,No, I use two versions of Visual Studio: 2019 (for the map) and 2017 (my main project).

I found a solution with starting a new project (for the map) with VS2017 but without a model (need to modify some files to be able to load the data).

For the moment, it works.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

The Visual Studio extension with project templates does not support VS 2017: it only supports VS 2019 and VS 2022. In fact I'm a little surprised you were able to install into VS 2017, it should prevent this from happening which is something we'll need to investigate.

If you're starting a new project now, we highly recommend VS 2022 and .NET 6.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
vergerk
New Contributor II

Hello,No, I use two versions of Visual Studio: 2019 (for the map) and 2017 (my main project).

I found a solution with starting a new project (for the map) with VS2017 but without a model (need to modify some files to be able to load the data).

For the moment, it works.

0 Kudos
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

The template installer for WPF only comes with .NET 6 support and requires VS2022. This is because the We a few years ago removed the .NET Framework templates to be in line with the Microsoft recommendation to not use .NET Framework for new work.

To use .NET Framework, instead create a blank WPF .NET Framework application and add the Esri.ArcGISRuntime.WPF NuGet package (this should even work in VS2017, although we don't officially support/test it). Just changing the framework in the SDK-style project isn't fully supported with .NET Framework. It's possible but might cause a few headaches (you could try adding <PlatformTarget>AnyCPU</PlatformTarget> to the PropertyGroup, and it might resolve this specific issue but I'd still recommend starting with the blank wpf templates instead)

0 Kudos