Accessing secure ressources in a cross platform project (v100.0)

12-27-2016 03:39 AM
OlivierROSSINI
New Contributor III

I try to do a simple cross platform app that consumes secure resources onan arcgis online oragnization.

I use Authentication Manager in my shared project to access secure ressources. The UWP app automatically prompts the user to provide login/password info. It's pretty straightforward.

I thought it would act the same way on a Xamrin.Android app but id doesn't.

Am I wrong? 

I try to do a cross platform project (Xamarin.Forms), but Android project doesn't act the same way. It doesn't prompt the user for login/password. Do I have to handle it by defining a challenge handler (so a custom UI) to let the user enter his login/password)?

Why?

Thanks in advance for any clarification on this.

Will the upcoming toolkit make this easier?

Is there any other things to consider when developping a cross platform app ? 

olivier

0 Kudos
2 Replies
alehmann
New Contributor III

I can't answer definitively, but that's how I implemented it in a Forms app (Android and iOS). I've never seen any default dialogs handling user credentials.

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

There's no default authentication UI in our API for Xamarin, but it's something we'll consider for the toolkit. UWP has a built in UI as you discovered and we have added a prototype UI for WPF to the v100.0 Toolkit branch arcgis-toolkit-dotnet/src/Esri.ArcGISRuntime.Toolkit/WPF/UI/SignInForm at v100 · Esri/arcgis-toolkit... 

You'll find some v100 protocol-specific security samples for Forms in arcgis-runtime-samples-dotnet/src/Forms/Shared/Samples/Security at master · Esri/arcgis-runtime-samp... 

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos