Design pattern for near real-time updating of features.

10-14-2013 07:19 AM
KennethTriplett
New Contributor
I am new to ESRi products and also starting a new project that displays a significant amount of data on a map that updates once a second.  For most of the dynamic features, once added they don't change.    Is there pattern than allows me to query changes since the previous query and then update the JMap.  In my limited experiments, I was not able to query and process thousands features every second, but if I could restrict the processing to the changes, it should work.

Constraints:
1. I would like to use the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Java to allow integration into our current product-line.  
2. Out product is often delivered to a closed environment, thus ArcGIS online is not an option.
3. With this amount of data, I am sure that the zoom level will have to effect the data shown, but I would like to determine those constraints once I have the best real-time pattern implemented.
4. I am also exploring the GeoEvent Processor for data insertion into ArcGIS Server.

If I am heading down the wrong trail, point me to the right direction.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Kenneth,

In order for me to answer your question, I need to understand a little more about the architecture of your system.

You mention that you have lots of data which updates once every second, but you don't mention where that data feed comes from.  Does it come from a proprietry feed of some sort (from radio signals for example), or it it hosted in a database (ArcSDE) or a feature service?

Once I can understand what you are working with, we can help you come up with a good solution.

Thanks

Mark
0 Kudos
KennethTriplett
New Contributor
Hi mark,
We build a proprietary hardware system, that detects signals and translates them into custom buffers.  The hardware can be mobile or stationary and can collect as many as 30 buffers a second with each buffer detecting multiple signals.  Each detection creates or updates a track.  The mapping software needs to support up to 5 hardware systems creating and updating track information.

My project is trying to prototype this scenario to prove an architecture.  The first cut at the server architecture uses the GeoEvent Processor to update and create multiple features on an ArcGIS server.  Then I implement a Java client to display the data.  I am thinking at least 3 different features.

I am also considering bypassing the ArcGIS server for the heavily updated features and going strait to the Java client using a UDP or TCP socket protocol.

If there is a more effective way to implement this scenario , I am open to suggestions. 

Thanks,
Ken
0 Kudos