Problem with ArcGISRuntimeSDK for Java on CentOS 6.2 after Installing AMD Catalyst Driver

09-16-2014 03:09 PM
JohnHodson
New Contributor

Hello,

I am working to develop an application on CentOS 6.2 using the ArcGISRunetimeSDK for Java. The application works as expected when the default drivers are used (mesa, I believe), but immediately after installing the latest AMD Catalyst driver for the FirePro V4900 in our system the application core dumps as soon as a view with an ArcGIS map is loaded. This has been tested on five different systems. The systems without the AMD driver work, the systems with it do not. Yesterday I even uninstalled the AMD driver on one of the systems that was not working and the application began to run properly. The configurations of all of the test systems are very similar--if not exactly the same. We plan to deploy the application we are developing to other systems that are currently configured with AMD drivers, too, so a solution to this problem would be very much appreciated.

The console output of the error follows:

16:49:44.684 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  c.g.a.c.MapViewControllerImpl - Initializing project progress MAP

Java version : 1.8.0_11 (Oracle Corporation) amd64

Rendering engine : OpenGL

GLX version 1.4

16:49:45.767 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  c.g.a.c.TabularViewControllerImpl - Initializing Tabular view

16:49:45.862 [pool-7-thread-1] ERROR com.ggs.asbe.daos.StationDaoImpl - getMinLongitude - No entity found for query

16:49:45.873 [pool-7-thread-1] ERROR com.ggs.asbe.daos.StationDaoImpl - getMinLatitude - No entity found for query

16:49:45.881 [pool-7-thread-1] ERROR com.ggs.asbe.daos.StationDaoImpl - getMaxLongitude - No entity found for query

16:49:45.885 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  c.g.a.controllers.MainControllerImpl - Loading Main window

16:49:45.889 [pool-7-thread-1] ERROR com.ggs.asbe.daos.StationDaoImpl - getMaxLatitude - No entity found for query

#

# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:

#

#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x0000003edf32f9df, pid=3821, tid=140132974003968

#

# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (8.0_11-b12) (build 1.8.0_11-b12)

# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.11-b03 mixed mode linux-amd64 compressed oops)

# Problematic frame:

# C  [libc.so.6+0x12f9df]  __tls_get_addr@@GLIBC_2.3+0x12f9df

#

# Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again

#

# An error report file with more information is saved as:

# /opt/asbe/app/hs_err_pid3821.log

#

# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:

#   http://bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/crash.jsp

# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.

# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.

#

Aborted (core dumped)

I have also attached the error report file. A little more system information follows:

Operating system: CentOS 6.2 (Final), 2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64, Gnome 2.28

Graphics Card: AMD V4900 (also tested with V5900)

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
EricBader
Occasional Contributor III

Hi John,

A few things here. First of all, THANKS for the detailed explanation of the issue you're facing. This helps a lot.

The Runtime is divided into 2 parts: the "core", which is C++, and the Java API which uses JNI to (in this case) use the operating system's graphics and hardware capabilities to do the rendering of the map.

The CORE is not ever tested on any LINUX system other than those that are officially supported (well, that is not always entirely true, but that is our official rule of thumb). Esri can only officially support LTS versions of Linux: RHEL 6.2 is one of them. Ubuntu 12.04 is another. LTS means "long term support". So, CentOS is not an officially supported platform that Esri can assist customers with, unfortunately. If you ever got it to work, Esri would not be able to assist you with support calls down the line.

Is there a specific reason you need to use the Red Hat derivative CentOS with AMD, and not, say, Ubuntu or Red Hat with mesa? We would be very grateful to know, so we can determine if it is worth considering for future support.

I'm wondering if AMD is somehow interfering with OpenGL, I'm not sure. Can you check your opengl version after you install AMD (just a shot in the dark) to verify?

glxinfo | grep OpenGL

It looks like you are also using JavaFX? Can you explain more about this? We are introducing true JavaFX support as a beta feature of our soon-to-be-released 10.2.4, coming out in 2-3 weeks. We would like to know what your needs are for JavaFX.

Thanks for your feedback!

0 Kudos
JohnHodson
New Contributor

Eric,

Thank you for the thoughtful reply, and sorry for the delayed response

We have chosen RHEL 6.2 as a possible operating environment, but are experiencing the same issues as before: with the proprietary AMD catalyst driver installed we experience a crash when the map begins to load. I can provide more detailed error logs again if you wish.

0 Kudos
EricBader

Hi John,

It could be the AMD graphics driver that is the problem.

Can you run glxinfo | grep OpenGL and let us know what it says? It should say something about OpenGL 2.1 (hopefully higher) or 3.3 or something like that. and it should give you some Shader info as well.

Ideally, if you have access to NVIDIA drivers, that should do the trick!

0 Kudos
WesEverett
New Contributor

Eric,

I work with John and have installed the application on RHEL6.2 and it's the same as the Centos6.2.  Still trying to get it to work with the AMD video driver.  The glxinfo command gives:

[harvey@rheltest ~]$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL

OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

OpenGL renderer string: ATI FirePro V (FireGL V) Graphics Adapter

OpenGL version string: 4.4.13084 Compatibility Profile Context FireGL 14.301.1001

OpenGL shading language version string: 4.40

OpenGL extensions:

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
EricBader

Hi Wes,

I think the AMD driver is not going to work with our stuff, but I'm confirming with some others.

The system requirements for the video driver state:

"64 MB RAM minimum; 256 MB RAM minimum recommended; NVIDIA, ATI, and INTEL chipsets are supported."

0 Kudos
WesEverett
New Contributor

Eric,

Thanks for the quick response.  I believe the AMD driver is the same thing as an ATI driver.  AMD bought ATI a while back and just calls them AMD instead of ATI.

0 Kudos
WesEverett
New Contributor

Eric,

Do you have any news about the ArcGIS working with the ATI driver?  We still can not get it to work.

0 Kudos
EricBader

I'll confirm, but we honestly don't certify on ATI specifically.

0 Kudos
EricBader

Hi Wes.

Yes, I suppose this should probably work. I can't see why not.

Still, not a supported OS though. It would be a "use at your own risk" sort of thing.

0 Kudos