ReloadingData on a graphics layer extremely slow

03-16-2012 01:25 PM
Brettl
by
New Contributor
So I've put togeather a graphics layer.

I've set my maps touch delegate to self and in the didMoveTapAndHoldAtPoint method I give the user the ability to drag points around the screen. However, The issue i'm having now is the rendering of this is extremely slow.

Does anyone know of a way for me to get the rendering of this to be smoother?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
EricIto
New Contributor III
Have you tried the latest version of the SDK? There were some great improvements made in the latest release.

Eric
0 Kudos
RudolfKopriva
New Contributor
Have you tried the latest version of the SDK? There were some great improvements made in the latest release.

Eric

I have the same problem, I have updated to the new SDK and it's still slow. I have 4 lines and it takes 2 seconds on the new iPad when I want to hide one of them. What's wrong?
0 Kudos
BrettBe
New Contributor

Eric

This thread was made well before the latest version was released. I will give the new sdk a shot.

I have found that the smaller the make the map the smoother the dragging of the point is so it is clearly some kind of overhead caused by the mapview itself.

EDIT OP here can't seem to login to the above account.
0 Kudos
EvanKirkwood
New Contributor II
I'm seeing similar slow performance with the graphics layer when panning/zooming the map view. We're using the latest version of the SDK (2.2.1 at the time of this post). Interestingly, we've noted a considerably slower performance on a retina display iPad as compared to an iPad 2 - what renders in under a second on an iPad 2 may take 2 or 3 seconds on a retina (aka "new) iPad.

Making the map smaller (as brettl noted) or adding less graphics to the graphics layer helps, but that doesn't really help to satisfy our requirements. Can anyone suggest other performance tweaks that would help to compensate for the slow down on the retina iPad?
0 Kudos
NimeshJarecha
Esri Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
EvanKirkwood
New Contributor II
Use the latest SDK v2.3. You can download it from http://www.esri.com/apps/products/download/index.cfm?fuseaction=download.all#ArcGIS_Runtime_SDK_for_....

Regards,
Nimesh

Thanks Nimesh, that definitely helped. Didn't realize at the time that v2.3 had been released. We saw a big improvement right away after updating.

After updating we were still seeing the occasional slow-down and/or a big spike in virtual memory usage that was causing iOS to jettison the app to recover memory. We set the .renderNativeResolution property to NO for all our graphics layers, and that seems to have further improved things. The rendered graphics aren't quite as sharp on a retina display iPad now, but you have to look very close to see the difference (most of our users haven't been able to spot the difference) so on the balance of things, it's a good trade off to keep our app responsive and keep the memory usage down.

Evan
0 Kudos