iOS 9 beta 3 crash on startup

07-14-2015 06:39 PM
marius
by
New Contributor III

Hello,

Apps build with the latest iOS SDK (10.2.4) crash on iOS 9 beta 3 (new built apps but also apps already in the store).

I've created a small test app bamse16/TestEsriiOS9 · GitHub so you can have a look.

I am aware that we're talking about iOS beta, and that is not a priority, but I'm worried that if this bug is not addressed (by Esri or Apple), we'll all be sad when iOS 9 will be released to the public.

Thank you,

Marius

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

Does this happen in the simulator or just on a device?

We're aware of the on-device issue and are investigating.

My recommendation from my own experience, for now, is to revert to iOS 9 Beta 2 and Xcode 7 beta 2 if you're using a device.

Nick

0 Kudos
HectorMelendez-Alvarado
New Contributor III

The crash happens with both Collector, Exporer and AppStudioPlayer in iOS 9 public beta.

0 Kudos
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

Good to know. I'll pass that on to the team, thanks.

0 Kudos
marius
by
New Contributor III

The bug happens only on the device (iPad mini retina 1) and it works fine on the simulator. But as Hector says, I believe it affects all the apps using the ESRI SDK.

0 Kudos
JoshuaHudson
New Contributor

I can confirm here at WSDOT that our app, using the latest ESRI iOS SDK, crashes on iOS 9 beta 3, but only on device. Have tested on a iPad Mini 2 and an Air 2. Works fine in simulator so we can continue to make changes and test for IOS 9 support for now.

0 Kudos
JoshuaHudson
New Contributor

I also had added a bug report to apple on this issue. They asked the following, may be worth to pass on to development:

We need more information to investigate this issue.  It looks like the pointer is being passed directly from the app to pthread_mutex_init  (nothing changes x0 before this stlr) and is misaligned (because it contains a pointer it should be 64-bit aligned, but it’s not: 0x12cd07564 == 4 (mod 8))  That address looks like it might be somewhere in the heap to us. How are you obtaining the pthread_mutex_t pointer that you pass in? 
0 Kudos
JoshuaHudson
New Contributor

This crash bug appears to be fixed by apple in Beta 4, which was released today.

0 Kudos
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Joshua,

That's great. I just tested this and yeah, my apps are working again in Beta 4.

Note that in the app I'm working on I had to modify my info.plist to allow arbitrary loads for the appropriate target(s):

AllowAllInfoPList.png

(For more details, see Networking with NSURLSession - WWDC 2015 - Videos - Apple Developer​)

That's way too broad, but I just wanted get moving again

Thanks for posting the update!

Nick.

0 Kudos
marius
by
New Contributor III

Hi Nick,

I can confirm that apps already in the store load the maps properly, and do not crash on iOS 9 beta4 anymore.

Regards,

Marius

0 Kudos