Increased data usage on 100.12

11-22-2021 11:38 PM
VijayendraKumar
New Contributor

Internet data usage is consuming more on 100.12 version when compared to 100.9.

Prepared a sample app with only few lines of code with changing a map view point on timer basis. 

We have taken 20 different locations  on USA(Near Mercer island). And changing view point for every 10 seconds to a new location from those 20 locations. 

Attached the both the sample apps. And found 100.12 is consuming 4 times more data than the 100.9 ArcGis version.

Data consumed on 100.9 for 2 hours running of app on iPad: 73 MB

Data consumed on 100.12 for 2 hours running of app on iPad: 260 MB

Note: Proper license key needs to be embedded.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DiveshGoyal
Esri Regular Contributor

In Update11 we made a change to remove our internal, on-disk cache for tiles to reduce disk I/O operations and improve interactivity/performance on some devices. This cache was redundant as there is already a network cache that iOS maintains. Furthermore, the network cache honors HTTP caching semantics which means that clients can comply with cache settings specified by the tile service. For eg, a service might provide tiles that contain traffic data that should not be cached at all, or beyond a time limit.

Your app may be exhausting the default cache limit that iOS provides. You can try increasing the capacity by changing the sharedURLCache 

0 Kudos
VijayendraKumar
New Contributor

Thank you for the reply. Actually we don't want to apply URLCache for the entire project. I tried with below code as I am applying for entire project, is there any way to apply only to online ARCGIS api cache mechanism.

let memoryCapacity = 20 * 1024 * 1024

let diskCapacity = 300 * 1024 * 1024

let cache = URLCache(memoryCapacity: memoryCapacity, diskCapacity: diskCapacity)

URLCache.shared = cache
0 Kudos