Identify Feature - ESRI ArcGIS APP Update

08-10-2011 01:45 PM
JanineLatham
New Contributor II
When i updated the ESRI ArcGIS App on my Ipad and iphone the ability to identify on a feature has gone away. IS there a new setting or configuration int he JSON or Rest Page that needs to be done. I need help to remedy this.
0 Kudos
30 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Hey Eric
Here is what I am thinking what the issue could be:
It is looking like in the JSON you are using a map service item within your webmap. The service this item is referencing is changing once you go from unsecured to secured and might be breaking something along the way.

I think you should add the map service into the webmap directly by going through
Add>Search for layers> In a Server(select this from the drop down selection) and paste the unsecured service into the search box below it.
Or doing the Add>From the Web>Enter Service URL(doing it this way you can post in basic and digest secured services into the map)

Then config the popups like you have done before on the service and save off the map and extract the JSON. Then switch out the URLs(if there is a change to the service url when security is turned on) and create the webmap on your mobile content server.

I think this will solve your issue.
Let me know if it works out for you.
Russ
0 Kudos
EricAnderson
New Contributor II
I think you should add the map service into the webmap directly by going through
Add>Search for layers> In a Server(select this from the drop down selection) and paste the unsecured service into the search box below it.

Then config the popups like you have done before on the service and save off the map and extract the JSON. Then switch out the URLs(if there is a change to the service url when security is turned on) and create the webmap on your mobile content server.

I did the above and I get the same problem, no popups when the local service is secured. I did not do this yet:

Or doing the Add>From the Web>Enter Service URL(doing it this way you can post in basic and digest secured services into the map)

However the URLs resulting from the first method are no different now than before.

Just for clarity's sake, I am making the local services not-secure by allowing the Everyone user in the service permissions with the popup layer. I invoke security by removing the Everyone user which then requires that I enter credentials as the iOS map loads.

Note, the last JSON I got from ArcGIS.online was version 1.4, yesterday it was 1.3.

Still can't get popups under secure services.

Eric
0 Kudos
NimeshJarecha
Esri Regular Contributor
Remove "itemId" part from your copied JSON from arcgis.com and it should work.

Regards,
Nimesh
0 Kudos
EricAnderson
New Contributor II
Thanks Nimesh.

I re-obtained the JSON from the ArcGIS.online site and it came without 'itemID' (and is now version 1.4 as you probably well know) so I pasted that into my local mobile content item JSON and tried it agian (refreshing the AGS cache and re-establishing the server connection in the iOS app on my iPad). Still no luck. When Everyone is removed on the service in AGS, I still don't the popup I get when Everyone is applied to the service as one of the service's users.

With Everyone removed on the service (secure), I do get a popup but it is the default location popup the iOS App delivers that contains the nearest road and the Lat/Long, not the popup I configured.

What else can I try?

Is the 4-digit code ArcGIS.online tags onto the end of the service name a problem ("id")?   Seems like that would only apply to the ArcGIS.online version and not my local version.

Thank you,

Eric
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Hey Eric,
Could you turn on the feature service capabilities for that service and try using that in your JSON with security turn on and off and see if you get back the correct popup?
Thanks
Russ
0 Kudos
EricAnderson
New Contributor II
AGS will not allow me to add the Capability of 'Feature Access' on the service since the data resides in a File GDB and is not in SDE. Unfortunately, I do not currently have access to SDE.

Eric
0 Kudos
GarimaVyas
New Contributor
Hi Eric,
I am not sure how you were able to configure popups for a map service url. Usually the popup option only shows up for a layer of the map service i.e. when you have an index at the end of the url.
0 Kudos
AliciaSoto
Occasional Contributor
Hi Eric,
I am not sure how you were able to configure popups for a map service url. Usually the popup option only shows up for a layer of the map service i.e. when you have an index at the end of the url.

For the longest time I didn't realize the difference between publishing a 'map service' vs a 'gis resource'.

Instead of trying to edit my json files using a MapServer, I switched to a FeatureServer and then my popups worked.

Is it even possible to use a MapService as the operation layer for popupInfo like Eric has in his code?

(I'm using arcgis server 10 to host my own services)

---------------------------

Never-mind! I did a test and figured out that you can. As long as you point the url to the feature within that map service

i.e.   http:/myserver/ArcGIS/rest/services/maps/TestLayer/MapServer/0

When would you want to publish a Feature Service? For editing capabilities?
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Correct. You would want to use feature services for editing/collecting scenarios.

Cheers
Russ
0 Kudos
JoeAroner
New Contributor
Russ,
Where are you getting the "id" in the Json for your operational layer? I have looked through all over to find the reference, its not in here http://mobilesampleserver.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/TestData/RedPolygon_TestMap/FeatureS... or in here in here http://mobilesampleserver.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/TestData/RedPolygon_TestMap/FeatureS... I am trying to learn but with all the changes to arcgisonline and the json structure for the ios app I'm struggling. Will new documentation be released?

{
"operationalLayers": [{
"url": "http://mobilesampleserver.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/TestData/RedPolygon_TestMap/FeatureS...",
"id": "RedPolygon_TestMap_9385",
"visibility": true,
"opacity": 1,
"mode": 1,
"title": "RedPolygon_TestMap - Red Polygon",
"popupInfo": {
"title": "Red Polygon: {TestCharacter}",
"fieldInfos": [
0 Kudos