Adding layers from ArcServer

12-02-2010 10:33 AM
ChrisBrannin
Occasional Contributor
What is the best route to overlay a shapefile to the esri streets map?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
PaulLohr
Occasional Contributor III
Pretty sure you will want to create an MXD containing the shapefile, publish the MXD with ArcGIS Server as a Map Service, then combine your new service with the ESRI streets layer basemap by creating a new map at arcgis.com. Then the ArcGIS for iOS application should be able to see your map if you look in the My Maps or My Groups section.
0 Kudos
ChrisBrannin
Occasional Contributor
I'm interested in using a dynamic map service but am a little confused on exactly how to set it up. I have a map service published to a server that has 2 extent settings on multiple layers with custom point symbols and other line and polygon thickness settings. Will these stay on a dynamic map on the iOS platform? (I made a mapping application with the same ESRI street map and my MXD's and they worked fine off the computer) When I try and compare what I am trying to do to the dynamic map service in the samples, there are many errors. Not sure if this is making sense but would appreciate any help that can be given.

Cheers
Chris
0 Kudos
DiveshGoyal
Esri Regular Contributor
Yes, the symbology you applied in your map document (.mxd) will be preserved when you publish the document to an ArcGIS Server map service and then subsequently consumed in an iOS application through an AGSDynamicMapServiceLayer.
0 Kudos
TrinaNair
New Contributor III
We have Advanced ArcGIS Server.  Do I need Enterprise ArcGIS Server (mobile extension) to upload maps to be used with a mobile device like an iPhone?  Or is that so you can view as well as edit? Confused reading documentation (http://links.esri.com/ios/app/maps).

Thanks,
Trina
0 Kudos
DiveshGoyal
Esri Regular Contributor
No, you do not need the Mobile Extension for ArcGIS Server in order to use clients such as iPhone/iPad. These clients rely on REST webservices for ArcGIS Server services (such as map, image, geocode, geoprocessing, etc)

The Mobile Extension is meant for ArcGIS Mobile clients that run on ruggedized devices.
0 Kudos
TrinaNair
New Contributor III
Thanks Divesh
0 Kudos