Lot of bugs, nobody answering, HALF-PRODUCT

04-24-2012 09:05 AM
JosipBozic
New Contributor
I cant remember when i used some product with this number of bugs. Every time i want to continue work on something i need to create new project. No way to test on emulator. I should buy multiple devices??? Is anybody working there? I read this forum, if people from esri dont know the answer they are not answering. I'm using this half(half-product) only because i must.
Disappointed developer.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JosipBozic
New Contributor
I cant remember when i used some product with this number of bugs. Every time i want to continue work on something i need to create new project. No way to test on emulator. I should buy multiple devices??? Is anybody working there? I read this forum, if people from esri dont know the answer they are not answering. I'm using this half(half-product) only because i must.
Disappointed developer.

of course first copy classes, after that copy images, layouts and always forget values...
0 Kudos
SimonKlein
Occasional Contributor
In their defence (ONLY for this point): It's not their fault, that you can't test in the emulator. Only the newest emulator image (4.0.3) supports OpenGL with usage of the real hardware http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2012/04/faster-emulator-with-better-hardware.html.

And why do you need to create a new project if you want to test something? I haven't had that problem until now.

But for the rest I really have to support your statement. I haven't seen somebody from ESRI posting in this forum for almost 2 weeks now... They told me in an email that
The level of support is driven by the questions asked
0 Kudos
GwenRoyakkers1
New Contributor
I agree.

They released the 1.1 api, and they made things worse.

I just found out the LocalTiledLayer isn't working anymore (also doesn't work in their own example).
(see http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/56148-LocalTiledLayer-NOT-working-in-v1.1-API-Update)

A changelog with bugfixes and code changes is also nowhere to be found. (and I didn't mean the small list with 10 entries in the documentation)

My experience with support is that they wait for the problem to solve itself, or just blame something or someone else.

A solution for a problem was never presented in my cases.
I always found those on the forums.
unfortunately some of those threads are still waiting for support for over 4 years now.

Some problems are caused by the lack of maintained documentation.
Others by the use of bad programming habits.

It is a shame they don't spend as much resources to their support and develloping teams, as they do with their marketing team.

Their marketing team is something many companies would be jealous of.

Support however...

Is the cause of the frustration for so many of us.

Kind regards.
0 Kudos
SimonKlein
Occasional Contributor
Some more fun things:

Luckily for me I found workarounds for the most quirky things in my app and I don't need ESRI maps but these things makes you wonder...

It's a free product and userbase of this SDK is really small so we can't demand super duper realtime feedback, but if they make this thing and want us to work with it they could really put a little bit more effort in the support.
0 Kudos
DanO_Neill
Occasional Contributor III
Is there a specific question on this thread?  I understand you are frustrated, please explain the exact issue you are having and I seek some answers for you. 

BTW:  We have been testing the updated emulator provided by Google and recently posted a workflow which works on all supported platforms > http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2012/05/02/arcgis-runtime-sdk-for-android-v1-1-supports-android-em....
0 Kudos