Native memory usage is increasing till app crash

09-11-2019 02:42 AM
MichalTaraba
New Contributor

Hi, I'm testing SDK for usage in our app which needs to work offline, so I have to use local maps sources. With compact cache sdk works pretty well, but I have problem with vector maps (.vtpk format), we have tablets with 1GB of ram and when zooming in and out repeatedly native memory usage is increasing till app crash. Is there some way to limit memory usage or something else what could help me solve this problem? Log from the device is attached. Thank you for your advice

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChanganShi
Esri Contributor

Could you provide more info about your crash? What SDK version are you using? How big is your VTPK file? Could you use the Profiler of the Android Studio to monitor the Native memory when zooming in/out?  Does the Native memory keep increasing when you zoom in or out? A screenshot will be helpful. Thanks

0 Kudos
MichalTaraba
New Contributor
We are using this dependency "com.esri.arcgisruntime:arcgis-android:100.6.0". VTPK file is about 60 MB, it is one region in our country. We've done some testing with profiler, but unfortunately app did not crash when it is connected to debugger, once we  disconnect the debugger, there is no problem to crash the app. I attached profiler screenshot when device is connected, you can see there, that native memory usage is increasing, but I'm not sure that it will be usefull. Is there some option in SDK to limit memory usage? Turn off the cache or something similar?
0 Kudos
ChanganShi
Esri Contributor

The 60MB VTPK is a fair size, for local VTPK we don't cache anything,  only relevance tiles are in memory for display, the memory usage should go up and down when zooming in/out. There are no options in SDK to limit memory usage. 

Could you assure you VTPK file creation following the guideline, that will make the performance difference,

Author a map for vector tile creation—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Or unless you share app or data to debug it. By the way, what's kind of Android device are you using?

0 Kudos