Is it possible to determine if location is mocked?

Jump to solution
10-12-2021 11:08 AM
DenisRomanovas
New Contributor II

Dear colleagues,

I have quite a big issue 🙂

I use ESRI's LocationDisplay module to get user locations and it seems there is no way to determine if a location is mocked one! I have a big requirement to disallow mocked locations...

Am I right that LocationDisplay module can't tell me if a location is mocked one? Or did I miss something?

If I have a need to filter out mocked locations, should I use native Android GPS methods to get GPS coordinates and abandon ESRI's LocationDisplay?

Any tips maybe? Help would be much appreciated 🙂

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChanganShi1
New Contributor III

Yes, the LocationDisplay itself cannot detect if a location is mocked or not. What do you mean to use "native Android GPS methods to get GPS coordinates"? The location display is responsible for displaying a location on the map view, the location data source is the location provider, which is open to extend and wrap any location service, it is also a place to filter out some locations to feed the location display.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ChanganShi1
New Contributor III

Yes, the LocationDisplay itself cannot detect if a location is mocked or not. What do you mean to use "native Android GPS methods to get GPS coordinates"? The location display is responsible for displaying a location on the map view, the location data source is the location provider, which is open to extend and wrap any location service, it is also a place to filter out some locations to feed the location display.

DenisRomanovas
New Contributor II

Thank you for reply! Sounds quite promising if I get it right.

I meant using something like com.google.android.gms.location.FusedLocationProviderClient.

So basically it's quite possible to use something like com.google.android.gms.location.FusedLocationProviderClient as LocationDisplay's location data source, right?

0 Kudos
ChanganShi1
New Contributor III

Yes, you could extend LocationDataSource by wrapping the FusedLocationProvider, set the new location data source to the location display. By default, the location display uses the  `AndroidLocationDataSource` which wraps the Android LocationManager.