Select to view content in your preferred language

Problem with Migrating Roads and Highways to ArcPro 3.2 ModifyLRS move_to_feature_dataset = "MOVE"

03-26-2024 05:38 AM
AlisonWieckowicz
New Contributor III

Step 6 of the The LRS AcPro Migration Guide 3.2 indicates that LRS datasets need to be moved into a feature dataset/controller dataset.  

Step 9 of the Guide requires running ModifyLRS tool.  This tool appears to have a have a  “move_to_feature_dataset” option but when I try to use it nothing happens. 

I am attempting to automate the process using ArcPy.  Is the “move_to_feature_dataset” option supposed to be used to move the layers to the feature dataset?  How do I specify the feature dataset I created in step 6?  

new_lrs_name = "name of feature dataset created in step 6?"

move_to_feature_dataset = "MOVE"

If this is the best way to do it, it seems like the steps are out of order?

If this cant be used what ArcPy process can be used to move feature classed in the same GDB into a feature dataset without renaming the feature classes and breaking all the coded value domains, etc. ? I tried arcpy.conversion.FeatureClassToGeodatabase but because all the feature classes are in the same database as the destination feature dataset/controller class it renamed them and made unintended changes to the schema.

Thanks,

Ali Wieckowicz

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlisonWieckowicz
New Contributor III

Now I see that the  move_to_feature_dataset = "MOVE" option works so long as new_lrs_name = <unused new name for controller class>.   

It appears that using this process renders step 6 (create feature dataset and move FCs in) completely unecessary?

0 Kudos
NathanEasley
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Ali,

The option to Move to Feature Dataset predates Roads and Highways users beginning to move to Pro.  You can use the approach from step 6 (we'd recommend doing a drag and drop within the catalog window in Pro) or using the GP tool/python script in step 9.  As long as your Roads and Highways managed feature classes end up in a feature dataset by the end of step 9, you shouldn't have any issue in the subsequent steps in the migration process.

Nathan
ArcGIS Roads and Highways team

0 Kudos
AlisonWieckowicz
New Contributor III

My goal is to automate the process of migrating so that we don't have to execute manual steps in higher level environments/production.  There doesn't really seem to be an ArcPy equivalent to the drag and drop when the drag/drop is in the same database.

I found that the I use a python with

arcpy.locref.ModifyLRS (
move_to_feature_dataset = "MOVE" ,
new_lrs_name = <unused new name for controller class>, 
etc.
it would create the new feature dataset/controller class and move all the feature classes into it.  

Is this not a recommended option?

0 Kudos
NathanEasley
Esri Regular Contributor

You can follow that process.  As long as by the end of the 9th step in the document you have the data into a feature dataset, you shouldn't see any issues.

0 Kudos