LRS Line Network where some Routes not part of Line

Jump to solution
11-26-2023 08:28 PM
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Occasional Contributor II

I'm considering building an LRS Line Network for Access Roads to a rail network.  Some of these Access Roads (routes) need to be assembled into LRS Lines so that measures can be calculated for them that span routes in a Derived Line Network.

Is there any way to have some but not all routes in an LRS Line Network be part of a Line or to do this would lots of "single route lines" need to be created so that the Line Network is coextensive with its routes?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@GraemeBrowning_Aurizon Interesting use case! 

Key requirements:

• LRS Line Network (primary)
  • LRS Derived Network (secondary)
  • Only a subset of routes group to form a line (consider the % of this subset) 

Refer to the LRS Network concepts and the corresponding configuration options in the LRS Network toolset. The configuration applies at the feature class level and there is no differentiation at the record level.

Options to consider:

1. Model all routes in LRS Line Network (with lots of "single route lines"). Small overhead if low %
    1. May consider adding a flag field for single route lines that can be used to search, apply definition query and run geoprocessing on specified selections as applicable.
  2. Split records into multiple network feature classes one as LRS Line Network and second as non-line LRS Network. This option has its own overhead but may make sense if high % of such records.
Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@GraemeBrowning_Aurizon Interesting use case! 

Key requirements:

• LRS Line Network (primary)
  • LRS Derived Network (secondary)
  • Only a subset of routes group to form a line (consider the % of this subset) 

Refer to the LRS Network concepts and the corresponding configuration options in the LRS Network toolset. The configuration applies at the feature class level and there is no differentiation at the record level.

Options to consider:

1. Model all routes in LRS Line Network (with lots of "single route lines"). Small overhead if low %
    1. May consider adding a flag field for single route lines that can be used to search, apply definition query and run geoprocessing on specified selections as applicable.
  2. Split records into multiple network feature classes one as LRS Line Network and second as non-line LRS Network. This option has its own overhead but may make sense if high % of such records.
Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Occasional Contributor II

Even though the percentage of "single route lines" is likely to be medium to high, I think I'll try Option 1 first with that flag field being updated by an Attribute Rule.

I think Option 1 will be conceptually simpler than Option 2 and we're only talking a few thousand access roads in total, so I think performance with either option will not be an issue.

0 Kudos