Is there a maximum of fields for an event

03-13-2023 06:30 AM
NicoleHanson1
Occasional Contributor

I have an event that the business has asked to add 12 more fields to it for their work.  But after making sure there were no server connections, I still can't add those fields (I checked other events and could add fields if needed to them).  Is there a limit to the number of fields an event can have in Roads & Highways?  This particular event already has a fair bit of fields for business data.

Tags (2)
4 Replies
RyanKoschatzky
Occasional Contributor III

I don't recall hearing about one. At least in our system every event has 15 standard fields plus whatever data fields for that event. We had one that had 27 data fields for a total of 42 fields for that feature class. 

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
NicoleHanson1
Occasional Contributor

Nope, that doesn't help 😞 Can't figure out why it won't let me add more.  any other it will.

0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@NicoleHanson1 I don't believe you are running into maximum number of fields limit. It is more likely that there is a connection or lock that is preventing exclusive lock to make the schema change.  You can view and release locks using geodatabase administrator privileges. 

Manage geodatabase locks

Sometimes, connections or locks are stubborn and you may have to seek DBA's assistance.

To answer the original question, the number of fields in a feature class or table is 65,534. 

File geodatabase size and name limits 

Name lengths for feature class or table are listed in this helpful table:

Object names

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
NicoleHanson1
Occasional Contributor

OK thanks, I'll check with the rest of my team to see if they know of any way this would be locked - there were no internal locks for the database, and the server manger was where I disconnected all those services.  But there is a chance someone posted another service to a server I don't know about.

0 Kudos