Updating field length via supported operation, Update Definition

08-27-2020 08:26 AM
EdenMesfun
New Contributor

I am attempting to update the field length of specific fields through the supported operation, Update Definition. When I attempt to increase the attribute length, I don't receive any errors. But when I used the REST API to check the Feature Layer's fields, the update is not reflected in the 'fields' section. Why isn't this update persisting?

Workflow:

1. Access the feature layer page through the ArcGIS REST Administrator Directory
  2. Scroll to the bottom of the page & click Update Definition
  3. Change the value of lastEditDate to null
  4. Change a specific field's attribute length from 60 to 50000
  5. Click Update Layer Definition

A note on #3;  I tried the setting lastEditDate to 0, and lastEditDate to nothing.  Setting lastEditDate to nothing produced the error message "Invalid definition for ''. Invalid JSON primitive: .". Setting lastEditDate to 0 did not produce an error, but the REST endpoint didn't update nonetheless.

I wondered if length was being set to a value that exceeded a limit, so I tried setting length from 60 to 59. Unfortunately the REST endpoint didn't update. I tried refreshing the feature layer, but that didn't work either.

Is there something I haven't accounted for in my workflow?

1 Reply
MelissaJ_TX
New Contributor II

I'm having the same issue where when setting the lastEditDate to null and updating the field length value through Update Definition, the change seems to submit successfully, but the definition does not actually update to the new field length.