Select to view content in your preferred language

REST Service Usage Tracking

11-14-2014 07:56 AM
BrianO_keefe
Honored Contributor

Long time listener, first time poster.

Curious if anyone knows what process would be required to track REST Service usage, much like Google Analytics tracks webpage usage.

Having 100% access to my ESRI ArcGIS Server I can install stuff to the actual server, which is where I imagine I would need to do this. I'm not all that familiar with the technology behind REST Services, other than how to utilize them in mapping applications (both web driven maps and through desktop). But I am fairly familiar with server technology, having worked with web dev on and off for years now.

My gut feeling about this is that there is some sort of server tech / app that would check this type of thing, but I was hoping someone knew about an ESRI component or setting that would provide this.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
PaulCrickard1
Deactivated User

You can watch usage in the web server log, would just need to parse it out but would get lines like this:

2014-07-11 19:46:34 xxx.xxx.xxx.xx GET /ArcGIS/rest/services/featuretestproperties/FeatureServer/0/query returnGeometry=true&outSR=4326&f=json&outFields=*&where...

you can also do some cool map tracking things like zoom and clicks and probably service info with Google Analytics too. Check out this video "Tracking Slippy Map Analytics" from Foss4g on Vimeo

Tracking Slippy Map Analytics — Dustin Sampson on Vimeo

0 Kudos