Publishing map service as WMS through REST

10-02-2010 04:08 PM
AshleyMort
New Contributor
In GeoServer, I can use the REST API to:
1) Create a workspace
2) Upload a shapefile as the datastore for the workspace
3) View the created workspace as a WMS layer

Is there a way to do the same thing with the ArcGIS Server REST API?  I want to be able to access it via WMS, so I need a Map Service, right?  How can I create a Map Service through the ArcGIS Server REST API?

Thanks!
Ashley
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
I cannot comment on the WMS discussion.

The question I do have thoughts on is whether or not you can use the REST API in order create a ArcGIS Server map service.  I think that the answer to this question is no.  IMHO, the map service is focused on providing access to the information which is published in a map document.  And, in fact, that level of access you have to that information (i.e. fined grained ArcObject interfaces) is being greatly reduced in 10.1.  I only mention the last point because it is a way of saying that server is getting more focused.

So... the alternative is to create your own RESTful service in which you can do what you want, e.g. communicate with the SOM.  BTW, the service you create is external to ArcGIS Server.

I struggle with this exact problem because we need a service which responds to requests from an external system in order to do operations like import/export data, create a new SDE version, reconcile/post, etc.  These type of requests do not seem to fit with ArcGIS Server.  My thought is that such requests require the development of a custom service which is based on ArcEngine.  You cannot use ArcMap because ESRI does not support it running in this manner.

I would very interested in hearing comments/thoughts from other users and ESRI themselves.
0 Kudos
AxelSchaefer
New Contributor II
Is there a way to do the same thing with the ArcGIS Server REST API? I want to be able to access it via WMS, so I need a Map Service, right? How can I create a Map Service through the ArcGIS Server REST API?

The REST API is another service endpoint beside SOAP, WMS, WFS or whatever. You can access several services with the REST API, for example map service, geodata service, geometry service, geocode services, etc.

If you publish a map document to ArcGIS Server you can choose, which service endpoints you will serve. SOAP and REST are standard, WMS is another possibility beside some others.

Clients to publish a service are right now are ArcCatalog and the ArcGIS Server Manager web interface. It could be possible to write a REST service to do this but I don't know that exactly.
0 Kudos