Select to view content in your preferred language

Import tile package into hosted tile layer, tiles disappear when AGOL "Allow tiles to be taken offline" is toggled

11-20-2022 08:36 PM
GerberMatthew
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am trying to created a hosted tile layer in AGOL of imagery that is to cover an envelope area of 1200km by 300km.

While the envelope is huge, the area actually covered by imagery is probably only about 10% of the envelope and requires frequent localized updates (weekly and monthly).

My intention is to leverage the ArcGIS rest API (https://tiles.arcgis.com/tiles) to “Import” manageable areas processed into tpkx.  However I seem to be hitting a glitch with the “Allow tiles to be taken offline”.

After each tpkx import the hosted tile layer is turning the “Export Tiles Allowed” setting to false.  If it is re-enabled in AGOL via the “Allow tiles to be taken offline” toggle all imported TPKx’s tiles outside the original extent are wiped from the visible data and only those of the original are visible/extractable.

Where as, if the “Export Tiles Allowed” is set to “True” in ArcGIS rest API via “Edit” on the map service.  The imported tiles remain.

While setting the “Export Tiles Allowed” to “true” via ArcGIS rest API  is fine, I am concerned of the risk that the AGOL switch could be toggled causing all the imported tile packages to be kicked requiring the entire lot to be re-imported. (Currently there are 42 tpkx packages)

Should I be some how creating a definition for the whole extent?

(Note: I feel like packaging a single tpkx for the whole area is going to be too much to process and upload, especially if later I choose to go another level or 2 deeper)

Below is my process

1)ArcGIS Pro Model builder model takes each polygon and exports Tpkx for polygon extent from 0 – 18 LoD and names it with a unique name.  (E.g. Area 1, Area 2, Area 3 ect)

2)Area 1 tpkx is uploaded to AGOL and turned into Hosted tile layer

3)Area 2…3… ect are uploaded to AGOL as tpkx only

4)Using “Import” on the hosted tile layer in https://tiles.arcgis.com/tiles  import Area 2...3... ect AGOL tpkx via AGOL item ID, with extent = left blank, Levels = left blank, merge bundle = true, replace tiles = true, format = html

Visually my areas would look something like the attached image.   Area 1 (The seed file) in blue…. Imported Area 2..3… ect in black.

GerberMatthew_0-1669005059540.png

0 Kudos
0 Replies