Select to view content in your preferred language

Automating API Key creation for token rotation

Jump to solution
10-17-2022 03:03 PM
NathanielEvatt
New Contributor III

I am hoping to follow best practices of our public facing API Key that we use for Vector Tile Basemaps.  I would like to limit the exposure of the key as much as possible and presumably a simple way of doing that is through key rotation as outlined in the document above.  I would ideally like to automate this process by working it into our Jenkins build process by simply creating a new key every time we push to production. 

As far as I can tell, the only way to create a new API Key is to do it manually through the Developer Dashboard.  Is that correct?  Is there any other way that I can automate this process?  

Thanks,

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Raul_Jimenez
Esri Contributor

Hi @NathanielEvatt ,

I'm currently working on the "Authentication in ArcGIS: A Practical Approach" session I will do at the Esri European Developer Summit 2022 and I have built a Postman workspace with several collections where you can check the required steps to do this programmatically.

I hope this helps.
Raul

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Raul_Jimenez
Esri Contributor

Hi @NathanielEvatt ,

I'm currently working on the "Authentication in ArcGIS: A Practical Approach" session I will do at the Esri European Developer Summit 2022 and I have built a Postman workspace with several collections where you can check the required steps to do this programmatically.

I hope this helps.
Raul

0 Kudos
NathanielEvatt
New Contributor III

Hi @Raul_Jimenez ,

That was exactly what I needed.  The timing of this question was pretty good with your presentation coming up 🙂

It would be awesome if ESRI could share the Postman workspace elsewhere.  For my particular workflow, this community post will help people, but there is a lot of other good stuff in the collection.  I wouldn't have stumbled upon this solution from the documentation alone, so I am sure that others would benefit as well.  

Thanks a bunch!

Nat

0 Kudos
Raul_Jimenez
Esri Contributor

I'm glad to hear it was what you were looking for 🙂

The timing of this question was pretty good with your presentation coming up 🙂

hahaha yes it was!

It would be awesome if ESRI could share the Postman workspace elsewhere

We will. Actually I'm planning to organize some online free workshops to test and improve the collections and better understand other use cases that might not be covered yet. During that process I will be working with my colleagues writing the documentation to link find the better way to link these resources.

Stay tuned for future editions of this workshop filling out this form.

Note: before the end of the year we are also planning to release a repository on GitHub with a backup of multiple Postman collections we are working on.

Thanks a bunch!

Always happy to help!! 😊

0 Kudos
NathanielEvatt
New Contributor III

This is all great to hear.  Thank you!

0 Kudos