Select to view content in your preferred language

Append Tool Error Using REST SubmitJob

06-09-2010 09:41 AM
AndrewBrown
Deactivated User
Is there any reason whey a toolbox/arcpy script would work fine when "Right Clicked, Open" from inside ArcCatalog, but when using the "SubmitJob" link after being published to AGS10/REST it fails on the append. 

"Everyone" has read access to the FILE GeoDatabase input dataset and I am using the same sde connection for both.
Here is the output from the REST submit job function.

Messages from REST execution
esriJobMessageTypeInformative: Submitted.
esriJobMessageTypeInformative: Executing...
esriJobMessageTypeInformative: Executing (UpdateRoads): UpdateRoads
esriJobMessageTypeInformative: Running script UpdateRoads...
esriJobMessageTypeInformative: Deleting features.
esriJobMessageTypeInformative: Done Deleting.
esriJobMessageTypeInformative: Appending features.
esriJobMessageTypeInformative: Failed to execute. Parameters are not valid. ERROR 000338: Inputs must be either all Feature Classes, Tables or Rasters; not mixed. Failed to execute (Append).
esriJobMessageTypeInformative: Completed script UpdateRoads...
esriJobMessageTypeInformative: Succeeded at Wed Jun 09 12:43:54 2010 (Elapsed Time: 1 minutes 2 seconds)
esriJobMessageTypeInformative: Succeeded.

Here are the messages running the same exact toolbox/script from AGS10

Executing: UpdateRoads
Running script UpdateRoads...
Deleting features.
Done Deleting.
Appending features.
Done appending.
Completed script UpdateRoads...
Succeeded at Wed Jun 09 13:14:36 2010 (Elapsed Time: 1 minutes 3 seconds)

The data actually loads doing it the second way.

Thanks,

Andrew
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RaviNarayanan
Esri Contributor
Is there any reason whey a toolbox/arcpy script would work fine when "Right Clicked, Open" from inside ArcCatalog, but when using the "SubmitJob" link after being published to AGS10/REST it fails on the append. 

Andrew,

Did you also try consuming this task from the ArcGIS Server GP Service using ArcMap/ArcCatalog? I am assuming that the use case where it works is when the tool is accessed directly in ArcCatalog, and not from the ArcGIS Server service?

If you can share this tool, that will be helpful as well.

thanks
Ravi
0 Kudos
AndrewBrown
Deactivated User
Hi Ravi, thanks for the reply.  Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  I must have missed this when you originally posted. 

For anyone else that might need to execute a GP tool from the REST link (Simply because its easy to hit the link with a batch file for automation)...

Make sure all of your permissions are correct. 

In my case, the data was stored on a remote server share as a File GDB and the SOC account did not have access to it. 

The "Parameters are not valid" error was simply because it had no data to load.

The solution was to create a duplicate SOC account on the remote server and give it access to that folder. 

Unfortunately, since the share resided on a NonWindows based file sharing system, it didn't work.

We've since abandoned that particular approach.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Andrew
0 Kudos