will pure REST API work?

07-20-2011 12:57 PM
DannyDong
New Contributor III
We don't want to use either web APIs (java script, flex, silverlight) or soap API or web SDK, just pure REST API  to do map navigation and query for our ArcGIS Server java enterprise application. Will this work?

To be more specific, We have a java application where we use exported image from ArcGIS Server in our map panel. Now we want to be able to zoom in/out and identify on the image we have. How can we find out map extent or map coordinates information from ArcGIS Server REST api for a click or zoom/pan  on the image? If we can do this kind of conversion from REST API, then we would be able to get a new image or do query based on this information too--- I have searched ESRI documentation but haven't found a way. Did I miss something or I have to find a way around? Thanks for your opinion!
2 Replies
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
Pure REST works just fine.

Here is the documentation on the REST API:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisserver/10.0/apis/rest/index.html

If the REST API does not have something you need then you can extend with a Server Object Extension.
DannyDong
New Contributor III
Has anyone done conversion from screen coordinates to map coordinates using pure REST API? Could you please share your experience? Thanks!
0 Kudos