Query Parcel by Address using an API

06-25-2021 07:02 AM
JoshuaTrimm
New Contributor

I'm working on a grad school project where I need to query parcel data, nation-wide, by a single address. Is this possible? I found a tool the load in all the parcel data but I don't have the request headers correct.

JoshuaTrimm_0-1624629388951.png

On ArcGIS's map web page (link here) this async request is loaded into the page in the form of a table that mimics a CSV.

JoshuaTrimm_1-1624629548767.png

If I keep scrolling, it should load all the parcel data I want. However, I just need it in json format.

Thanks for any and all the help! This is really cool that all this data and api stuff is this open!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It is possible, and there are a number of ways to do it. If you just want "enter address, get parcel", you'll need to use some kind of locator service to convert the entered address into a point, then use that point to intersect with the service.

geometry=<point from locator>
geometryType=esriGeometryPoint
inSR=4326
sptialRel=esriSpatialRelIntersects
f=json

Otherwise, you'll need something to parse the input address, as it appears the table keeps the address in multiple fields. Or possibly have a search tool that takes the various fields as separate inputs.

where=SIT_HSE_NU%3D<entered house number> AND SIT_STR_NA%3D<entered street name>

And so on.

Do you have a preferred tool or coding language you were planning on using for this?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
JoshuaTrimm
New Contributor

I'm currently developing in asp.net and JavaScript with Postman to test my API's. Would you also provide a link to where the documentation for the specific topic is located?

Just to be clear, I will be able to do this on any address in the United States, correct?

Thanks for your help! Hopefully I will be able to put this API project on my resume!

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you're using JavaScript, the REST API is a good place to start. Specifically, you may be interested in

For your second question, that's really something for the owner of that service to answer. I'd check out the layer's documentation / metadata to see if there is a geographic extent given, or use limitations, etc. I tried to visit the link in your screenshot to see the data myself, but it refused to connect.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos