How to get ExportMap call to work with a Dummy Image service utilizing a tile cache

Jump to solution
08-08-2019 03:21 PM
NathanRaley
New Contributor III

I have a Map Service published as a dummy image service, i.e. it has a feature service published and is utilizing a tile cache to render the background satellite imagery.

I have noticed that when using this method, the ExportMap call in the rest API is not returning the imagery from the cache, instead I receive a blank image.  Is there any way to get this to work?

Thanks,

Nathan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NathanRaley
New Contributor III

So there are a few things that caused this in case anyone else runs across this.

When publishing the service, there's an option to allow per request modification of layer order and symbology.  There is also the option to Draw the Map service either Dynamically or through the use of a tile cache. 

Now, if you check the per request modification option and force the tile cache, this will display just fine when being consumed via map service.  However, it will cause the Export Map call to fail to utilize the tile cache when returning the image.  However, if you uncheck the allow per request modification, the ExportMap will utilize the tile cache as is expected.

Odd behavior, but there you have it.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
NathanRaley
New Contributor III

So there are a few things that caused this in case anyone else runs across this.

When publishing the service, there's an option to allow per request modification of layer order and symbology.  There is also the option to Draw the Map service either Dynamically or through the use of a tile cache. 

Now, if you check the per request modification option and force the tile cache, this will display just fine when being consumed via map service.  However, it will cause the Export Map call to fail to utilize the tile cache when returning the image.  However, if you uncheck the allow per request modification, the ExportMap will utilize the tile cache as is expected.

Odd behavior, but there you have it.