Enterprise named user authentication in an application

06-24-2019 07:01 PM
ChristopherMugdan
New Contributor III

Our product connects business intelligence tools to GIS platforms including Esri's offerings. We need to be able to log in to ArcGIS Online and Portal with named users from within our product. The product is a client server arrangement where the client is tied to the business intelligence tool and the server is tied to the GIS platform. The server is written in Java and is responsible for generating map images based on the GIS information and the layers we fetch from ArcGIS Online or Portal. We require that users only log in to the business intelligence tool. The map is purely an adjunct to the main business intelligence reports. Thus users will not directly log in either to ArcGIS Online or Portal.

I have not yet found a mechanism with Esri's APIs to handle our situation and I am not sure how the Esri model integrates with enterprise identity providers to give us what we need either. Can anyone offer guidance on this please?

Cheers,
Chris Mugdan

0 Kudos
2 Replies
VictorTey
Esri Contributor

Hi,

• can you reuse the credentials that is logged into BI tools to authenticate with portal and store the token with the user session?
  • Have you looked at the esri proxy tool? https://github.com/Esri/resource-proxy
0 Kudos
ChristopherMugdan
New Contributor III

Hi Victor,

Thanks for the response.

I don't think that we can gain access to the credentials in the BI tool so no, we cannot do that.

I did look at the proxy but it is not suitable for our purposes.

Cheers,
Chris

0 Kudos