Create Built-In User - Paramenter Requirements and Constraints

12-04-2017 08:38 AM
TylerAustin3
New Contributor II

I am creating a python script with PortalPy to create Portal Built-in users. However the parameters seem to have different requirements and constraints than the ArcGIS Rest API. For example PortalPy says username must be greater than 4 characters, however the Rest API says "User names cannot have more than 24 characters or fewer than 6 characters. They can only contain alphanumeric ASCII characters or underscores." I also know from experience that you can to have dot/period in a username as well.

It seems to me that there is a lack of consistence with the requirements and a lack of detail for requirements. Such as for the passwords parameter, PortalPy says "must be greater than or equal to 8 characters", however, Rest API states "This is a required parameter only if the provider is arcgis; otherwise, the password parameter is ignored." but doesn't mention a length or complexity requirement like the Portal Administer Guide states "The password must be at least eight characters in length and have at least one number and letter."

Does anyone know if there is a single place I can go to get the requirements for parameters when working with the portal? Or does everyone search through multiple documentation hoping that there search encompasses everything they need? And also, does anyone know the constrains of these parameters, such as "what is the longest length an username, password, first name, last name, full name, email can be?"

Thanks! -Tyler

0 Kudos
0 Replies