Can I record slope (or grade) with QuickCapture or Field Maps?

Jump to solution
01-10-2022 09:11 AM
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I hope this is a simple question with a simple answer. I want to drive a road and have it record the grade of the road in terms of percentage of the slope (negative for downhill and positive for uphill). Can QuickCapture record this kind of data out of the box? Or can ArcGIS Field Maps do this? Or would it take more steps to calculate and record this data? One more nugget of detail, maybe every 100 feet of the driven road is what I'd like to segment the line in order to get a slope measurement.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

You could also use the device pitch variable and capture continous points. You would leave your phone horizontal in the car, and each captured point would have a pitch value (0 to 45 degress +/-) written to the assigned field. At the same time you could capture the road as continuous line.

JohnathanHasthorpe_0-1642715629968.png

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/quickcapture/help/editproject.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_623F8C96724944728C33991B95...

Ideally you would test the reported values for the device you are using, to make sure that these look sensible - as the sensors in different devices may or may not be as reliable.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If it captures elevation, sounds like some back-in-the-office work would be needed and would be simple given positional differences and elevation

... sort of retired...
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Thanks Dan. Yeah, that's the "easy" answer. I am just wondering if QuickCapture can do this as a feature of its own data collection. But I am not sure that any Esri products can do that (without the in-office calculations, which is fine, but I am just looking for a quicker result!)

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

so I guess a vehicle inclinometer wouldn't do it either 😉 

car inclinometer | eBay

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

woah, those look pretty cool! I might have to check one out!

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

You could also use the device pitch variable and capture continous points. You would leave your phone horizontal in the car, and each captured point would have a pitch value (0 to 45 degress +/-) written to the assigned field. At the same time you could capture the road as continuous line.

JohnathanHasthorpe_0-1642715629968.png

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/quickcapture/help/editproject.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_623F8C96724944728C33991B95...

Ideally you would test the reported values for the device you are using, to make sure that these look sensible - as the sensors in different devices may or may not be as reliable.

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Jonathan, this is intriguing. I might have to check this out as it could be a sort of solution (however, the survey folks might not like this level of 'accuracy'). But my initial thoughts would be, how would I be able to initially put my device/phone on a flat, 0 degree, surface. I suppose a level could help with that. But either way, thanks for the feedback!

0 Kudos