Trying to recreate and lock HomeFolder setting in a ConfigurationProject

Jump to solution
a week ago
tamasoz
Emerging Contributor

Hi Community,

We have the following setting in a Pro.settingsConfig file:

<HomeFolder isLocked="true">C:\Users\MyUsername\Documents\ArcGIS\</HomeFolder>

I am trying to create a Pro Configuration project in which I would achieve the same/similar setting. I realized that that I can set the Home Folder using the following:

ApplicationOptions.GeneralOptions.CustomHomeFolder =@"C:\Users\MyUsername\Documents\ArcGIS\"
ApplicationOptions.GeneralOptions.HomeFolderOption =OptionSetting.UseCustom;

What other calls do I have to do to make this settings "Locked" - like in the Pro.settingsConfig file.

All help/advise will be highly appreciated.

Tamas

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CharlesMacleod
Esri Regular Contributor

Addins are not intended to be, nor well suited to being, authoring tools for admin settings. That is best done w/ a custom script or .NET exe if the idea is to create a little utility admins can use to generate a Pro.settingsConfig rather than creating it by hand

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CharlesMacleod
Esri Regular Contributor

Sounds like u/your organization has an admin setting in-place locking the home folder value.

When a setting is locked, it cant be changed in the UI, via the SDK properties/methods, or via the ArcPy commands that give you similar access. Attempts to change a locked setting should fail.

Only a user with the relevant permissions to change the underlying admin setting can make a change.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/application-setting-management.htm 

0 Kudos
tamasoz
Emerging Contributor

Yes, that is correct. But is it possible to set this lock via code? Let's say we don't have the Pro.settingsConfig in place at all and I need to set the customhomefolder and lock it via ArcGIS Pro SDK in a Configuration Project type.

So far I realized that I could set this home folder using the Pro SDK.

But can I lock it using the SDK - and if I do how? Once again - let's say there is no Pro.settingsConfig loaded.

0 Kudos
tamasoz
Emerging Contributor

Regardless - if this is not possible to achieve - that is fine but then I would raise a feature request to be able to replicate all Pro.settingsConfig settings using Pro SDK - including locking.

0 Kudos
CharlesMacleod
Esri Regular Contributor

Addins are not intended to be, nor well suited to being, authoring tools for admin settings. That is best done w/ a custom script or .NET exe if the idea is to create a little utility admins can use to generate a Pro.settingsConfig rather than creating it by hand

0 Kudos
tamasoz
Emerging Contributor

Thank you @CharlesMacleod .

I intended to develop an ArcGIS Pro solution configuration and not an Add-in - though it seems like these are rather similar in nature then.

Regardless, I understand and accept your recommendation.

0 Kudos