SubGroup Issue

02-07-2020 09:36 AM
Occasional Contributor

If I create a group at the layout level and then create elements in that group then all OK.

When creating a named group within a group - elements are not correctly placed in the named group - they are placed directly on the layout instead. If I don't set the name then all OK.

Layout layout = Project.Current.GetItems<LayoutProjectItem>().FirstOrDefault()?.GetLayout();
            GroupElement groupElement = LayoutElementFactory.Instance.CreateGroupElement(layout);
            CIMElement cimGroupElement = groupElement.GetDefinition();
            cimGroupElement.Name = "First Level Group";
            GroupElement groupElement2 = LayoutElementFactory.Instance.CreateGroupElement(groupElement);
            CIMElement cimGroupElement2 = groupElement2.GetDefinition();
            cimGroupElement2.Name = "Second Level Group";

            for (int i = 0; i < 100; i++)
                List<Coordinate2D> lineCoordinates = new List<Coordinate2D> { new Coordinate2D { X = i, Y = 0 }, new Coordinate2D { X = i, Y = 100 } };
                Polyline polylineTic = PolylineBuilder.CreatePolyline(lineCoordinates);
                CIMLineSymbol lineSym = SymbolFactory.Instance.ConstructLineSymbol(ColorFactory.Instance.BlackRGB, 1.0, SimpleLineStyle.Solid);
                GraphicElement lineElm = LayoutElementFactory.Instance.CreateLineGraphicElement(groupElement2, polylineTic, lineSym);
                CIMElement cimElement = lineElm.GetDefinition();
                cimElement.Name = "Line" + i;


0 Kudos
3 Replies
Esri Regular Contributor


I really appreciate you reporting this!  I've reproduced the bad behavior on Pro 2.4 and noticed that if the same command is used in Pro 2.5, a crash will occur.  This is a regression and will be fixed immediately in 2.6 and hopefully added to a 2.5 patch.

I noticed the issue still occurs if I use SetName() vs changing the element name via the CIM.

Jeff - Layout Team

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jeff,

Great to hear. I did actually manage to find a magic combination that gets it to work but it was hours of trial and error. It was to use SetName and then change another property using get/set definition.


0 Kudos
Esri Regular Contributor

This issue was addressed for Pro 2.7

Jeff - SDK teams

0 Kudos