Read lyrx files from packages in ArcGIS Pro Plugin

05-13-2020 09:18 PM
RobUdink1
New Contributor II

Hi all. 

I'm developing an ArcGIS Pro plugin. I would like to set the properties of a layer based on a layer files (.lyrx) that I would like to provide as part of the plugin deployment.

Therefore I used the LayerDocument class, constructed from a layer file path:

var lyrDocFromLyrxFile = new LayerDocument(@"c:\data\layer.lyrx");

However, this seem to require an absolute path, and therefore this layer file must be installed there by the user.

I can add the layerfile to the solution such that it is distributed with the plugin package. How do I construct a proper path to the resource in the package. Since the package is just a zip-file, and the resource is put with the dlls in the Install folder,  I would expect the following to work:

var dllPath = System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().CodeBase;
var layerFile = System.IO.Path.Combine(dllPath, @"Install\LayersFiles\KILOMETERRIBBON.lyrx");
var lyrDocFromLyrxFile = new LayerDocument(layerFile);

However this provides an empty layer definition.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
GKmieliauskas
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Rob,

CodeBase property is not suitable for your case. To get the absolute path to the loaded manifest-containing file, use the Assembly.Location property instead.

var dllPath = System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().Location;

Then take directory name from Location and do not use Install folder:

var layerFile = System.IO.Path.Combine(Path.GetDirectoryName(dllPath), @"LayersFiles\KILOMETERRIBBON.lyrx");

In Visual Studio project remember to mark your lyrx as Copy to local = true

RobUdink1
New Contributor II

Problem solved 😉

Dear Gintautas

Thanks for your quick reply. This indeed solves the problem, 

System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().Location;
"C:\\Users\\udinkr\\AppData\\Local\\ESRI\\ArcGISPro\\AssemblyCache\\{65d5c7d5-cc47-4ef6-b902-74b7f7ec86c7}\\ArcGisImx.dll"
System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().CodeBase;
"file:///C:/Users/udinkr/AppData/Local/ESRI/ArcGISPro/AssemblyCache/{65d5c7d5-cc47-4ef6-b902-74b7f7ec86c7}/ArcGisImx.dll"

This folder contains the Install folder of the packages, unzipped.

0 Kudos