Progress dialog not displayed in debug builds

02-18-2021 12:50 PM
AlanStewart
Occasional Contributor

Pro 2.7, VS 2017.

My add-in's progress dialog stopped displaying in debug build with the message, "* * Warning: Progress dialog is disabled when debugging * *", in the VS output window. Can this be disabled, i.e, the progress dialog display re-enabled? Whatever was done seems to also disable the "_RPT*()" statements (crtdbg.h) in my C++ code that I need for resolving some complex issues.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Wolf
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

I am not aware of any methods to re-enable the progress dialog during debugging.  This feature has been disabled by design for reasons unknown to me.  I only write my add-ins in managed code and in order to debug a complex issue where I need to see that last state I usually use System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine() to output the state of my code.  The output is then displayed in my Visual Studio output window.  I am not sure if there's an equivalent C++ method.  In some cases when needed to sift through a lot of data I used a log file.

0 Kudos
AlanStewart
Occasional Contributor

The _RPT*() fucntions are the C equivalents of the System.Diagnostics.Debug.Write*() methods (which I use in the managed code portions of the add-in). It's definitely helpful to be able to see my debug output in the same stream as messages emanating from ArcGIS. So I hope ESRI will change something if it's not possible to do this in the current release.

0 Kudos
JeremyWiles
New Contributor III

Oh, come on Wolf.  You have the power to tell them what to do, right?  (I kid)

I can't cancel, so it would be very helpful to me to have a cancelable dialog.  But it is what it is.   I can always move the active line while debugging to an "exit sub" or "return" line (I am stuck in VB.NET).

Cheers.

0 Kudos