Install python package with Add In

06-13-2019 12:49 AM
KellyGaussen1
New Contributor III

Hi there

I have an Add In that runs a python script. That script requires a specific python library in order to run. I have a windows installer that will install the library package in ArcGIS's python (C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\Lib\site-packages\) but is there a way to install this package when the Add In is installed (or upon its first run) in order to skip an extra installation step?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

What if the user doesn't have permissions to install in the Pro installation, but has to install in a clone?

It isn't a package that can be installed via conda or pip I suppose?

0 Kudos
KellyGaussen1
New Contributor III

Hi Dan

The package can be installed via pip (whl file) but admin rights is the issue. Is there a way around this? Or another way to install a python package from within an Add In?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I don't know since I am not sure you can install anything without admin rights in any thing other than a cloned distribution which would make it an issue finding the correct path and if the end user doesn't have permissions and is trying to install in the base environment it would not be possible I suspect.  

I guess it comes down to 'a need' vs 'a nice'

0 Kudos