Export Map to File

08-31-2020 12:09 PM
KrisCulin
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

In ArcMap, when you export to an image format (i.e. enhanced metafile), the after-draw was included.

In ArcGIS Pro, when you export to an image format, i.e. enhanced metafile, overlays are *not* included.

Is this an oversight?  If not, when do you plan to add this functionality?

Kris Culin

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
KrisCulin
Occasional Contributor

Also note that in ArcGIS Pro, if you use the Print or Export options for any format available, overlays are *not* included in the final copy.  This really seems to be an oversight.  I would expect overlays to be included at least when you do a print of your map.

Kris

0 Kudos
KrisCulin
Occasional Contributor

Any thoughts on this from ESRI?  Are there plans to include overlays with the export API?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to capture "just the map" part on the screen?  The idea would be to take a screen capture of just the active map in lieu of exporting to a metafile until the export API includes overlays.

Thanks,

Kris

0 Kudos
UmaHarano
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kris

Overlays cannot be exported.  

Would it be possible for your workflow to use features in a File GDB instead? Have you looked at Map Notes instead for adding graphical notations to maps? They can be temporary or permanent additions to the map. They get saved to the File GDB and can be exported as an image from the map.

Thanks

Uma

0 Kudos
KrisCulin
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Uma.  I will look into the Map Notes to see if that is an approach we can take.  Is there a sample that shows how map notes are used (or created)?

Right now I am working on taking a screen capture of just the map area and making pretty good progress.

Are there plans in the future to include overlays in the export API?  This was available in ArcMap.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Kris

0 Kudos
UmaHarano
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kris,

Unfortunately MapNote can't be created using the API right now. But it will happen soon.

Good news - there is a workaround though. Can you please try this?

*Using the Pro UI:

* add the Map Notes you want to the map. (I can help you with this if you need. Here is the help link: Map notes—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation )

* Save the Map notes as a layer file (using the sharing tab).  These 3 steps are a one time process to store the MapNotes as a layer file.

Then using the API:

* Add the layer file to the active map.

* You can now start graphical features to this map notes layer using MapPoints, Coord2D, etc. Instead of using Overlays, you would just be adding features to the map notes layer.

* These can be exported.

Please let me know if you run into issues.

Thanks

Uma

0 Kudos
KrisCulin
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Uma.

I will investigate this idea later this week when I have a little bit of extra time.

I do have a question related to this though.  Is there a way *not* to add the features to the undo stack?  Typically features are created using EditOperation.Create.  Is there an alternative where nothing is added to the undo stack (and it also won't "confuse" AGP when undo/redo is used as well).

TIA,

Kris

0 Kudos
UmaHarano
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kris,

Unfortunately with EditOperation there is no way to prevent it going on the undo stack. 

Thanks

Uma

0 Kudos