Select to view content in your preferred language

Custom item to add a plugin source not working

11-03-2022 08:03 AM
newbiedotnetguy
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am a new to ArcGIS Pro. In this question I will not add much code. Just wanted a suggestion to get hold of one issue.

I have an existing code base in which I am adding an AddIn and Plugin data source for new file extension. But when adding a folder connection to the new file extension I am not able to see that file after expanding the folder.

Interestingly following are my different findings:

1. This issue is coming when Configuration is set as a startup project. When I am directly setting the new AddIn as a startup project the same issue is not coming.

2. Since issue is coming in an existing codebase when I am creating new project from the scratch having the same structure as the existing one the issue is not coming.

3. In both of the scenarios I can see the new addin the ArcGis Pro folder getting generated. Its not that new addin is not getting generated.

I tried different combinations to check the issue but couldnt find any root cause. 

I am just looking for a way to look into the root cause

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
UmaHarano
Esri Regular Contributor

The SDK team will check this scenario out shortly. But in the meantime, can you try this note below?  This will help us narrow down the problem.

https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-pro-sdk/wiki/ProConcepts-Custom-Items#a-note-for-developers 

A Note for Developers

When working on Custom Items (or Custom Project Items) be aware that Custom Item classes are also registered for use by the ArcGIS Pro Indexer when ArcGIS Pro starts. This registration is done through an entry in this file:

%AppData%..\Local\ESRI\SearchResources\ItemInfoTypesExt.json

Usually this is of no consequence, but it is advisable to delete this file in-between sessions when you are developing your Custom Item and when you are refactoring your code.
It may also be beneficial to disable Pro indexing on your development machine (in which case the ItemInfoTypesExt.json file will be ignored). Disable Pro indexing via the Pro backstage "Options". Select "Indexing" within the Application group and click on the "Don't create index" option.

0 Kudos
newbiedotnetguy
New Contributor III

Hi Uma,

Tried directly deleting that file option as well as disabling the indexing but that didn't worked out. Now after this when the ItemInfoTypesExt.json is regenerated again I cant see any or even my CustomItem in that file. Then do we need to explicitly add my custom item? 

Right now I can see only this much content in that file {“ItemInfoTypeExtensions”:[]}
If yes can u also give me what will be format to add my custom item in this file?

I am also not able to see the addins in the Documents folder of ArcGis pro but can see the corresponding plugins

0 Kudos
newbiedotnetguy
New Contributor III

I explicitly added my custom item as well in iteminfotypeextension json file but still the same 

0 Kudos
UmaHarano
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi

In my tests, I am able to "see" the custom file extension (Pro custom item) via the add-in and via the Configuration.  I am not seeing this issue you are experiencing.

If you can share a simple add-in and a configuration where you see the issue, it will help.

0 Kudos
newbiedotnetguy
New Contributor III

Uma thats the problem the code where the issue is my code base that I cant share and if I am creating the code from the scratch to share with you that is working fine. Its something that is happening in that existing codebase which is the problem.

0 Kudos