/Config Switch to Reference Network Share Location

Jump to solution
10-16-2017 11:40 AM
MKa
by
Occasional Contributor III

I am working on a Configuration project that i want to deploy to a common network location that all of my worldwide users can access.

Lets say all users have a mapped directory X:\Pro\Install

Within that Install directory i have the file Pro.proConfigX.

I want to create a desktop shortcut on their individual computers that reference the latest config on the network share.  i don't want the user to have to install the config to get the latest version and put it in their know good folder.  I don't want the user to have to run the install on the config.

Instead of this 

"C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\ArcGISPro.exe" /config:Pro.proConfigX

I want this

"C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\ArcGISPro.exe" /config:X:\Pro\Install\Pro.proConfigX

I have tried all possible combinations of the /config switch and can't get it to work.  I have tried quotes, double backslashes, etc.  Nothing seems to work.  It appears the user has to install the .proConfigX everytime there is an update.  I am not able to reference a known location for a configuration like I am an addin.  

Any Ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
UmaHarano
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

You can specify additional well known folder from where ArcGISPro.exe will probe for and load a proConfigX file. Refer to the Configurations Loading scheme topic for information on the ConfigurationsFolder registry key that can be used for this.  

If you set the registry key specified in this topic on the client computers, you can place your configuration in the network share and the shortcut below will launch your configuration.

Thanks

Uma

View solution in original post

2 Replies
UmaHarano
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

You can specify additional well known folder from where ArcGISPro.exe will probe for and load a proConfigX file. Refer to the Configurations Loading scheme topic for information on the ConfigurationsFolder registry key that can be used for this.  

If you set the registry key specified in this topic on the client computers, you can place your configuration in the network share and the shortcut below will launch your configuration.

Thanks

Uma

MKa
by
Occasional Contributor III

Thank You Uma. 

That is exactly what i wanted.  Along with the ArcGIS Pro Install on the client machines, i will add the following to a batch command. 

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESRI\ArcGISPro\Settings" /v "ConfigurationFolder" /t REG_SZ /d "X:\Pro\Install\" /f

This works and now my shortcut command first looks to X:\Pro\Install\ for the latest configuration.  I am also going to clear out the C:\Users\Public\Documents\ArcGIS\ArcGISPro\Configurations folder and %LOCALAPPDATA%\ESRI\ArcGISPro\AssemblyCache in this batch file as well.  That way my configuration will be the only one loaded.

For debugging in visual studio, I had to clear this registry value when I wanted to debug my configuration program in visual studio, otherwise it went to my share folder and loaded that configuration instead of my debug one.  Here is that command i put in a script too.

reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESRI\ArcGISPro\Settings /v ConfigurationFolder /f

Thank You

Matt

0 Kudos