Building .NET Console Application Using ArcGIS Pro .NET SDK

05-22-2020 03:01 AM
AnujKatiyar
New Contributor

Hi,

I am rewriting ArcObjects .NET Console Application using the Pro SDK. I want to dynamically create / delete shape file in my console application using  Pro SDK but i am not finding any documentation for Pro SDK  for such requirements.

Can you please provide any code sample for same ?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
MattDriscoll1
New Contributor II

You will need to use geoprocessing tools probably.  

Run a geoprocessing task and python script | ArcGIS for Developers 

I personally use python to do these types of task.  If I want a gui aspect to it I will just put the python script in the solution and run it from there.

public async Task<IGPResult> ExecuteModel()
        {

var progDlg = new ProgressDialog("Running Geoprocessing Tool", "Cancel");
            progDlg.Show();

var progSrc = new CancelableProgressorSource(progDlg);

var pathPython = System.IO.Path.GetDirectoryName((new 
              System.Uri(Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().CodeBase)).AbsolutePath);
            pathPython = Uri.UnescapeDataString(pathPython);
            System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine(pathPython);

var tool_path = System.IO.Path.Combine(pathPython, @"PytonToolbox.pyt\Tool");

var parameters = Geoprocessing.MakeValueArray();

IGPResult gp_result = await Geoprocessing.ExecuteToolAsync(tool_path, 
             parameters, null, new CancelableProgressorSource(progDlg).Progressor);

Geoprocessing.ShowMessageBox(gp_result.Messages, tool_path, 
            gp_result.IsFailed ? GPMessageBoxStyle.Error : GPMessageBoxStyle.Default);

return gp_result;

}
RichRuh
Esri Regular Contributor

Anuj,

Matt is correct.  The Pro SDK does not yet support Data Definition Language (DDL) operations directly.  If you are writing a Pro Add-in, you need to use the geoprocessing API.  In a stand-alone CoreHost application, you need to shell out to a Python script.

--Rich

AnujKatiyar
New Contributor

Thanks Rich,  Can we use ArcObjects .NET SDK &  Pro SDK together in a CoreHost application ?

0 Kudos
RichRuh
Esri Regular Contributor

Anuj,

The Pro SDK is implemented in terms of ArcObjects.  While I've never tried it personally, I expect the two APIs would interfere with each other.  It's definitely not supported.

--Rich

0 Kudos
HelenZhou
Occasional Contributor II

@RichRuh, I have the same question. I have created a console application using template "ArcGIS Pro CoreHost application" in Visual Studio 2022. I am going to use this application work as a console application to update some feature's attributes in a feature class. I have added bunch of assemblies from   C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin and C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Extensions folder. I have changed the Platform Target in Visual Studio from "Any CPU" to "x64". When run the application, I am able to connect to the enterprise geodatabase and the feature class. But when running at line "EditOperation editOperation = new EditOperation();", I get different assembly error. I am running ArcGIS Pro 3.0.3 and SDK 3.0. Is the a stand-alone CoreHost application not yet able to run such task? Thanks

0 Kudos
RichRuh
Esri Regular Contributor

Helen,

The only supported assemblies in CoreHost applications are `ArcGIS.Core.dll` and `ArcGIS.CoreHost.dll`.  More detailed instructions for creating CoreHost applications can be found here.

--Rich

0 Kudos
HelenZhou

Thanks @RichRuh , do you mean other dll like ArcGIS.Desktop.Editing will not be supported? If that is the case, I have to create Microsoft VS Console app and add dll like ArcGIS.Desktop.Editing from there? 

0 Kudos
RichRuh
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Helen,

Sorry for the delayed response.

The only assemblies that work outside of ArcGIS Pro are `ArcGIS.Core.dll` and `ArcGIS.CoreHost.dll`. You can only use ArcGIS.Desktop.Editing if you are building a Pro add-in.

You can edit features using the geodatabase routines described here: https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-pro-sdk/wiki/ProConcepts-Geodatabase#editing-in-stand-alone-mode

I hope this helps,

--Rich

HelenZhou

Thanks @RichRuh . That has made things clear.

0 Kudos