Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro 3.3 Crashes when with various GP Tools or map interaction

Jump to solution
3 weeks ago
Justin_ODell
New Contributor III

My ArcGIS Pro 3.3 (in Windows 11) crashes when running the Delete GP Tool and specifying a path, while a custom Add-In is running.  It works without the Add-In.  I attempted to replicate the behavior with an Esri Sample Add-In, and was able to cause a somewhat similar crash behavior with WorkingWithQueryDefinitionFilters adding a layer to the map.

Does this happen for anyone else?  Any idea what causes it?  Are there any related known bugs? 
My current guess is maybe it relates to the ArcGIS.Desktop.Mapping.Events subscriptions.

Step to replicate:

1. Build the WorkingWithQueryDefinitionFilters Add-In (I'm using Visual Studio Professional 2022)
    https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-pro-sdk-community-samples/tree/master/Map-Exploration/WorkingWithQuer...
  2. Open ArcGIS Pro 3.3 with the WorkingWithQueryDefinitionFilters Add-In ‘installed’
  3. Add a geodatabase feature class to a new map
  4. Right click the layer in the Contents dockpane > Click Definition Query Filters
  5. Drag and drop a layer onto the map (from Catalog dockpane)
    (or create a new feature class that gets automatically added to the map)
  6. Pro crashes

For reference, I haven't had any problems with the custom Add-In in ArcGIS Pro 3.2.  I've had similar problems with shapefiles in 3.3. The crash doesn't happen before the Definition Query Filters dockpane is opened, but will happen if it's opened then closed.

The following error was in the .dmp file after the custom Add-In crash: "FrameworkApplication.CreateInstance error": Missing class or assembly name: esri_mapping_snapChipToggleButton

One related side question: I noticed that specifying a path in the Delete GP Tool no longer removes map layers from the map that have that path as a data source. Is that expected behavior?  Does anyone know when (which version) that change occurred? 

Thanks much!

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Wolf
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

I tried the sample snippet you referred to above and did notice an issue with the sample.  If you look at the "private void GetMapMembers(MapView mapView)" method, you can see that this method is always running on the thread it is called from.  Unfortunately, when the 'query definition' custom dockpane is open and a new featureclass or table is added to the current map, this method is called from a background thread which in turn is throwing an exception.   So to correct this i made the following changes to the sample:

private void GetMapMembers(MapView mapView)
    {
      RunOnUiThread(() =>
      {
        MapMembers.Clear();
        if (mapView != null)
        {
          var tocLayers = mapView.Map.GetLayersAsFlattenedList().OfType<BasicFeatureLayer>().ToList();
          var tocTables = mapView.Map.StandaloneTables.ToList();
          if (tocLayers.Count > 0 || tocTables.Count > 0)
          {
            tocLayers.ForEach(x => _mapMembers.Add(x));
            tocTables.ForEach(t => _mapMembers.Add(t));
            var selectedMapMember = GetSelectedMapMemberInTOC();
            if (selectedMapMember != null) //mapmember has been selected
              SelectedMapMember = selectedMapMember; //Show that map member's filters
            else
              SelectedMapMember = MapMembers[0]; //default. Nothing selected in TOC
          }
          //If no feature layers, show empty dockpanes(DockpaneVisibility)
          DockpaneVisibility = MapMembers.Count == 0 ? Visibility.Hidden : Visibility.Visible;
        }
      });
    }

And here are the supporting functions:

#region Threading Utilities

/// <summary>
    /// utility function to enable an action to run on the UI thread (if not already)
    /// </summary>
    /// <param name="action">the action to execute</param>
    /// <returns></returns>
    internal static Task RunOnUiThread(Action action)
    {
      if (OnUIThread)
      {
        action();
        return Task.FromResult(0);
      }
      else
        return Task.Factory.StartNew(action, System.Threading.CancellationToken.None, TaskCreationOptions.None, QueuedTask.UIScheduler);
    }

/// <summary>
    /// determines if the application is currently on the UI thread
    /// </summary>
    private static bool OnUIThread
    {
      get
      {
        if (FrameworkApplication.TestMode)
          return QueuedTask.OnWorker;
        else
          return System.Windows.Application.Current.Dispatcher.CheckAccess();
      }
    }

#endregion

I will try drag and drop and some other test cases next, but in general I would recommend embedding all custom code in try {} catch {} to prevent crashes that are caused by uncaught exceptions with no error message.   

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Wolf
Esri Regular Contributor

I tried the sample snippet you referred to above and did notice an issue with the sample.  If you look at the "private void GetMapMembers(MapView mapView)" method, you can see that this method is always running on the thread it is called from.  Unfortunately, when the 'query definition' custom dockpane is open and a new featureclass or table is added to the current map, this method is called from a background thread which in turn is throwing an exception.   So to correct this i made the following changes to the sample:

private void GetMapMembers(MapView mapView)
    {
      RunOnUiThread(() =>
      {
        MapMembers.Clear();
        if (mapView != null)
        {
          var tocLayers = mapView.Map.GetLayersAsFlattenedList().OfType<BasicFeatureLayer>().ToList();
          var tocTables = mapView.Map.StandaloneTables.ToList();
          if (tocLayers.Count > 0 || tocTables.Count > 0)
          {
            tocLayers.ForEach(x => _mapMembers.Add(x));
            tocTables.ForEach(t => _mapMembers.Add(t));
            var selectedMapMember = GetSelectedMapMemberInTOC();
            if (selectedMapMember != null) //mapmember has been selected
              SelectedMapMember = selectedMapMember; //Show that map member's filters
            else
              SelectedMapMember = MapMembers[0]; //default. Nothing selected in TOC
          }
          //If no feature layers, show empty dockpanes(DockpaneVisibility)
          DockpaneVisibility = MapMembers.Count == 0 ? Visibility.Hidden : Visibility.Visible;
        }
      });
    }

And here are the supporting functions:

#region Threading Utilities

/// <summary>
    /// utility function to enable an action to run on the UI thread (if not already)
    /// </summary>
    /// <param name="action">the action to execute</param>
    /// <returns></returns>
    internal static Task RunOnUiThread(Action action)
    {
      if (OnUIThread)
      {
        action();
        return Task.FromResult(0);
      }
      else
        return Task.Factory.StartNew(action, System.Threading.CancellationToken.None, TaskCreationOptions.None, QueuedTask.UIScheduler);
    }

/// <summary>
    /// determines if the application is currently on the UI thread
    /// </summary>
    private static bool OnUIThread
    {
      get
      {
        if (FrameworkApplication.TestMode)
          return QueuedTask.OnWorker;
        else
          return System.Windows.Application.Current.Dispatcher.CheckAccess();
      }
    }

#endregion

I will try drag and drop and some other test cases next, but in general I would recommend embedding all custom code in try {} catch {} to prevent crashes that are caused by uncaught exceptions with no error message.   

0 Kudos
Wolf
Esri Regular Contributor

I tried the drag and drop as well and found no additional issues.  Regarding the 'esri_mapping_snapChipToggleButton' error you saw in your log file:  It is possible that the initial exception thrown by the 'wrong thread' exception caused this issue.  It is also possible that other add-ins were affected by this exception as well.  When testing add-ins for exceptions is best to remove other add-ins during the test session.  I checked the WorkingWithQueryDefinitionFilters code sample and it didn't make use of the 'esri_mapping_snapChipToggleButton' daml id.   

0 Kudos
Justin_ODell
New Contributor III

Thanks much for the investigation and feedback!

My add-in also did not use the esri_mapping_snapChipToggleButton.

Based on your answer it sounded like I needed to trace exactly what/where the error in my custom add-in was being caused, so I installed Visual Studio and ArcGIS Pro 3.3 on the same machine to debug it.  It lead me to a bunch of null reference errors, that seemed to be occurring because there was a series of listening objects that pointed at a layer in the map whose data source was deleted, and they had assumed there would be a feature class attached to that layer.

Prior to ArcGIS Pro 3.3, deleting the layer's data source also deleted any layers that had data source from the active map. Setting the custom add-in to manually remove layers with the data source before deleting it, seemed to fix the null errors.

Re: my "One related side question" in the original post,  Do you know if is was an expected behavior for the Delete GP Tool to stop removing the map layers with the deleted data source?  And if that change is new in ArcGIS Pro 3.3?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
NarelleChedzey
Esri Contributor

Re the Delete GP Tool no longer removing map layers with deleted data source. 

There was a change at 3.3 with the behavior of data sources being deleted and renamed.  The default behavior is now NOT to remove layers when this occurs  I believe this change was made for performance reasons. 

However, you can alter this default behavior to revert back to the previous behavior.  There is a new setting in the backstage options under the Map And Scene tab. See the Layer Data Sources expander where you can set the value for both deleting and renaming of data sources independently. 

NarelleChedzey_0-1717553593930.png

Narelle

Justin_ODell
New Contributor III

Thank you, that explanation helps a lot!

0 Kudos